PDA

View Full Version : Salvador Dali

Junkdata
06-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Is there in the world anyone else besides me who likes salvador dali´s paintings, id like to hear comments abaut this awesome artist.

peaches
06-19-2005, 03:06 AM
you must be joking. dali is one of THE icons in surrealism. i doubt there is anyone here who has not heard his name somewhere. his work is genius. one my my favourites from him is 'One Second Before Awakening From a Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee Around a Pomegranate'. not only is the title awesome, but the whole concept behind it, and just the way he paints is crazy.
indeed he is an awesome artist. (:

ashakarc
06-19-2005, 10:07 AM
Is there in the world anyone else besides me who likes salvador dali´s paintings, id like to hear comments abaut this awesome artist.
Dali, is one of the most influential artists of the 20th century, and one of the greatest masters of all time.
To me, Dali's work is very deep, meaningful, and liberating.

Maidith
06-19-2005, 10:10 AM
I love Dali's work. He combines surreal elements from his own imagination with a painting technique that can make one turn green with envy :D

Dali is without doubt one of the greatest 20th century artists.

Totoro
06-19-2005, 10:36 PM
I don't have many favorite painters but Dali is one of my favorite artists.
His paintings are really interesting you'll never get bored, everytime you look at it you'll discover something new that you didn't see the last time. That's why I like his work and also some of his work you'll have to watch it from a distant before you'll see the hidden things.

Totoro
06-19-2005, 10:37 PM
I don't have many favorite painters but Dali is one of my favorite artists.
His paintings are really interesting you'll never get bored, everytime you look at it you'll discover something new that you didn't see the last time. That's why I like his work and also some of his work you'll have to watch it from a distant before you'll see the hidden things.

paperclip
06-19-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm afraid I must turn against the tide here. I don't actually like his work all that much. Let me say first that he is technically excellent, he produces very solid work. Buuut.... there's something about his subject matters/ideas that leaves me cold. It's almost as if he is over reaching or something. I'm very tired right now (got up at 4am this morning, been on planes, trains and automobiles all day) so I'll reiterate and reinforce this statement tomorrow morning.
*placemarker for more thorough explanation*

Squibbit
06-19-2005, 10:58 PM
i think he got some nice stuff... i get a weird feeling like
it has to be there from his work. A feeling that Dali couldn't
have not existed.

Same with Star Wars. Take stuff like that away and it leaves
huge holes in the universe.

Very Strange.

hmm

Unique ?

:D

Ego
06-20-2005, 08:20 AM
I went to an exhibition of Dali's work in Namur, this past weekend. I stayed there for a very long time, just trying to understand or interpret the feelings I had for the paintings /sculptors. I am still unable to arrive at a conclusion. I know there are some of the work that I liked on sight. There are those that didn't make me feel good. I don't suppose the whole purpose of art is to invoke a 'good' feeling in the beholder. I suppose if the artist invokes any feeling at all, then he is successful in his goal. One doesn't have to like every piece by an artist. I did not like all his pieces. They didn't appeal to me or invite me to investigate further. If there are hidden meanings in them, I'll have to go to another exhibition and continue to seek those hidden meaning. I did like most of the biblical series and the series on Dante's devine comedy.
http://www.queensoul.com/images/cgtalk/dali.jpg

I didn't get this one. Perhaps one of you Dali enthsiasts might help me and explain it to me.
Thanks;

SpeccySteve
06-20-2005, 12:07 PM
I agree with Paperclip- technically excellent, just doesn't do much for me personally.

-Steve

peaches
06-22-2005, 06:22 PM
I agree with Paperclip- technically excellent, just doesn't do much for me personally.

-Steve

i cant say that i understand his work very well, but it doesnt take much for me to be amazed when the technique is so well mastered.

restlesscheese
06-24-2005, 07:07 AM
:eek: Gah! I love Dali! He's my fav when it comes to surrealism, but his realism pieces are awesome too. The surrealistic ones are just so... alien. Love them! Plus, he has an awesome little moustache thingey... it just cracks me up. If I were a guy I'd grow a Dali moustache.:D But I ramble. I'd say the most fascinating part of his work is the level of detail to his paintings. Fantastic!

ashakarc
06-24-2005, 07:15 AM
Plus, he has an awesome little moustache thingey... it just cracks me up. If I were a guy I'd grow a Dali moustache.

Guess what, he used to fix his mustache with forg sperms..:eek:

rokandic
06-24-2005, 08:52 AM
I didn't know much beside his most known works until I got this book:Dali: The Paintings. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3822812099/qid=1119602859/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-7461545-4675331)
It shows a volume of his work and you can see how his style changed over the years. Wonderful book if you're interested in his work. Personally I think his work is just amazing.

Rok

Pin_pal
06-24-2005, 09:03 AM
deleted..............

DrFx
06-24-2005, 09:29 AM
http://www.queensoul.com/images/cgtalk/dali.jpg

I didn't get this one. Perhaps one of you Dali enthsiasts might help me and explain it to me.
Thanks;

It looks like some sort of allegory for the greek myth of Daphne and Apollo. Which you can interpret as "lost love", or whatever you wish! :)

paperclip
06-24-2005, 09:52 AM
The legend of Icarus, maybe?

slaughters
06-24-2005, 07:59 PM
I didn't know much beside his most known works until I got this book:Dali: The Paintings. (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/3822812099/qid=1119602859/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/102-7461545-4675331)
It shows a volume of his work and you can see how his style changed over the years. Wonderful book if you're interested in his work. Personally I think his work is just amazing.

RokHad a chance recently to see several of his paintings first hand. I had always liked his work, but was kind of surpised how sloppy some of the paintings were.

A lot looked like he just whisked through them, leaving a lot of unpainted canvas and unfinshed edges. Kind of like he was trying to make as many as possble in the littlest amount of time.

The prints I had seen in artbooks before this had made the images look "crisper"

SpeccySteve
06-25-2005, 12:20 AM
As much as I don't like the guys work his painting of "The Christ of St. John on the Cross" (maybe not exact title) is pretty impressive, I haven't seen much of his later stuff up close but that particular one is good..

I don't generally like Dali and I'm no fan of religious painting as a subject matter but that painting is worth a good staring at and I'm not even sure why.

-Steve

Laia
06-28-2005, 08:19 AM
Uau!!
this one is the Dali's painting I'm in love with:
http://personal.telefonica.terra.es/web/jack/dali/cuadros/rosa.jpg

Rosa meditativa (1958)

When I was a child we visited the Dali's museum on Figueres, and every one of us had to chose a painting, and then draw it. This is the one I choose, the painting is not neither in that museum nor in Spain, but I hope I'll see it someday.. :)

Laia!

NOOB!
06-28-2005, 09:10 AM
how did i miss this thread,everyone knows i'm the biggest dali fan ever!!

http://www.essentialart.com/mh/Salvador_Dali_Dream_Caused_by_the_Flight_of_a_Bee.jpg

my fave!

neofg
06-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Dalì was a genius...
He made a mix of fantasic painting style with fantasy...
If anyone made something in 3d from Dalì post it...It'll be funny...

PS.Who miss this?
http://www.artexpression.com/images/EUR/jpgs/1200-9011.jpg

NOOB!
06-28-2005, 10:58 AM
If anyone made something in 3d from Dalì post it...It'll be funny...

nah it wudn't,it'll just be another way to ruin great art.NOOOO!! stay away 3d guys. :twisted: joke

Watch destino,that dali and disney,it has sum 3d daliness in there.

neofg
06-28-2005, 12:57 PM
He He...What An ignorant I am... Yeah, now I remember...at start I thought that destino was a nickname... :)

NOOB!
06-28-2005, 01:20 PM
heh nah its an animated short from disney and dali,it was finished a year ago i think,had sum 3d parts in it.

ashakarc
06-28-2005, 03:17 PM
heh nah its an animated short from disney and dali,it was finished a year ago i think,had sum 3d parts in it.Yeh, that was an incredible attempt by Dali for cartooning, if he'd continued, cartooning would be different today

DrFx
06-29-2005, 04:54 PM
Interestingly enough, it seems Dali was interested in computer art in his last years.

http://www.torinoscienza.it/img/giochi/pixel/Dali-0.JPG

RavenDLC
06-29-2005, 09:33 PM
I used to love Dali and he was my favorite artist. It seemed like every painting I saw by him had a completely new and unique concept somewhere in it. But the more work I discovered by him, the more I saw repetition and also, a general lack of crispness in his paintings.

I'm with the other poster who said the art books make his works seem more detailed and more crisp. He still has a handful of works that I love but the rest I've grown to dislike.

Still an awesome artist for his time and he revolutionized the art world as we know it.

Cameo
06-30-2005, 11:23 AM
Been a Dali fan for many a year. I agree about the repetition of elements but I dont think that detracts at all, its just themes that he kept re-exploring. I see that in many artists work. I remember first seeing his work (at the national gallery i think) when I was about 12yrs old, and I just didnt think it was possible to paint that smooth and crisply.

TheCleaner
06-30-2005, 12:25 PM
how did i miss this thread,everyone knows i'm the biggest dali fan ever!!

I was shocked to see you hadnt started the thread ! and not even a reply on the first page :scream:, haha, jokes

hes influenced me, and likely influenced the artist who i am most fond of.. dali has been mentioned when ive presented this piece to them

http://img213.echo.cx/img213/4866/dscf00977zg.jpg

due to the elongation of the limbs

remcv8
06-30-2005, 01:23 PM
http://www.mcs.csuhayward.edu/~malek/dali7.jpg

Love Dali!!! His work is amazing, and if you follow his work from the 1930's you'll see that he was way ahead of his time.

An amazing right-brainer. Very poetic.

H.G. Wells of surrealism. Hence the strider style Horse and Elephant.

Here's a cool link: http://www.daligallery.com/

cJaynes
06-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Dali is an interesting guy.. was wondering if any one has seen Destino the movie he did with Disney that was released a while ago. Or if you know where to see it or watch it, I really want to see it but I can't find it and google is failing me.

NOOB!
06-30-2005, 01:57 PM
u can catch sum clips here from destino.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1462300

Just remember that the project got scrapped sumtime in the 50's? and was only re discovered and finished recently.....after both disney and dali and dead.kinda makes u wonder if the finished product is what they really wanted.

i don't know where u can buy it.

lol TheCleaner,yeh i'm suprised i didn't start this thread too.

nineinchneil
07-01-2005, 02:30 PM
i absolutely love dali as an artist.

i absolutely loathe him as a person. everything he did was such a desperate shock attempt. from that stupid video he made about his life, to all the antics, and the photo shoots. god, how i despise that man.:scream:
he was the howard stern of his time. . .

ashakarc
07-01-2005, 04:48 PM
i absolutely love dali as an artist.

i absolutely loathe him as a person. everything he did was such a desperate shock attempt. from that stupid video he made about his life, to all the antics, and the photo shoots. god, how i despise that man.:scream:
he was the howard stern of his time. . .
So, Is Dali as a person different than Dali as an artist in your opinion? Do you think it is possible to separate the artist from his work?

nineinchneil
07-01-2005, 05:00 PM
sure. i don't see why not. people can be complete pricks, and yet create absolutely beautiful works of art. i'm not trying to separate the artist from his work; where do you get that idea?

ashakarc
07-01-2005, 06:17 PM
His work is his personality and his personality is his work.

nineinchneil
07-01-2005, 06:25 PM
and how do you know this? did you know him personally? the man sold out to doing alkaseltzer commercials. what bearing does that have on his art?

i like his work, and dislike his personality. let's move on.

ashakarc
07-01-2005, 07:19 PM
I don't think you got my point, but hey let's move on

NOOB!
07-01-2005, 07:27 PM
nineinchnail ......what?

ashakarc is saying dali's personailty IS his art,without his odd personailty he wud have just painted people standing there,and a normal clock in a room instead of a meltin one.

how can u not like dali's personailty...but like his work?,his art and personaility are both one in the same.

its like saying.... i like how that chicken was cooked and how it tasted so delicious......but i don't like the oven it was cooked in.

nineinchneil
07-01-2005, 08:05 PM
i find charles manson's paintings fascinating, but i can't say i was a big fan of his personality. . .

now can we move on?

NOOB!
07-01-2005, 10:14 PM
now can we move on?

move on to what? this is a thread about dali isn't it?

i guess moving on would be visiting another topic lol:D

Mojo Rizen
07-06-2005, 08:28 PM
I like his work, but the ego is pretty big. I never met him and don’t have to deal with the personality and can still enjoy his work. It’s a big world out there, keep an open mind.

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2005, 08:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.