PDA

View Full Version : Negative light

3DRtist
06-18-2005, 11:21 PM
I tried doing a search in this forum for negative light, but had no luck.
I am using Softimage and I'm using a spot light on an axe. Most of the surface is metal texture, but part of the handel is wood. I tried tweaking the intesity down, but the handel still looks to shiny. I read from a book Digital Lighting and Rendering (by Jeremy Birn), that you add a seperate light to a scene/object and put set a negative value to the brightness.
I tried to type in a negative value in some of the setttings, but it just
goes to 0.

rendermaniac
06-18-2005, 11:58 PM
I am not familiar with XSI, but is there a way of linking the light to that object only? This is called light lniking in Maya.

Simon

jeremybirn
06-19-2005, 03:27 AM
In terms of not lighting the wood: in the light, set Selective Light to Exclusive. Then choose Light > Associate Light and it'll prompt you to pick the model you want the light not to illuminate.

In terms of negative lights to darken areas (which it doesn't sound like you need to use here), in XSI you can set a light's Red Green and Blue values to negative numbers, and then the light will darken areas instead of illuminating them.

-jeremy

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2005, 03:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.