PDA

View Full Version : Is war really that small?

Artaures
06-18-2005, 01:31 AM
This is a game concept

it seems today that no game can convey the true size of a war. The Medal of Honor series is mediocre as well as the Call of Duty series, but no where close to where it should be. There was so much hype over Halo 2's release, and how cool it would be to save earth from the covanant invasion, but once you played it, it was like, you get one tank, a lightly armored vehicle...oh and two marines, glhf. Obviously they are held down by technology, but hopefully these next-gen consoles will dawn light onto the same old same old concept of War FPSers.

Just one idea, they need to drop the, plot revolves around the main character. Every war fps has used it, and we need change. Im beginning to see start of that, through Call of Duty. It put you through the roles of three people, one American, one British, and one Russian, through totally different campaigns.

I want to see a game where there is no main character, and when your starting character dies, you take the role of the guy who was standing right next to you in that trench. When he dies, the next closest guy or a random character in that platoon, squad, regiment, etc. in that certain scenario/mission. I hate seeing everyone die around you except yourself!

That alone would make some intersting, and fresh gameplay ideas. That would also put the plot at such a grander scale, not just the game telling us how these four people saved planet earth, but how hundreds of thousands saved a country.

Marc-OlivierBouchard
06-18-2005, 01:38 AM
want to see a game where there is no main character, and when your starting character dies, you take the role of the guy who was standing right next to you in that trench. When he dies, the next closest guy or a random character in that platoon, squad, regiment, etc. in that certain scenario/mission. I hate seeing everyone die around you except yourself!
You mean like in Battlefield 1942?

barcode
06-18-2005, 03:46 AM
Check this game out - it sounds like it has alot of the elements you are talking about.

http://www.1944game.com/

I found out about it because some of their artists post work on this forum.

Artaures
06-18-2005, 04:04 AM
Joe Wang - That is an MMO, you cant really convey a realistic battle, need NPCs

Barcode - That game sounds impressive, and those first two paragraphs sum up what i want in a game. WOW I am trully speechless over that game, thx for link.

Marc-OlivierBouchard
06-18-2005, 04:25 AM
I've only played the single player version, the one wih over a hundred of npcs ;)

malcolmvexxed
06-19-2005, 06:06 AM
not really sure how this is a cg film making issue.

FabioMSilva
06-19-2005, 07:09 PM
not really sure how this is a cg film making issue.

i think he wanted to post this in the Game Development (http://www.cgtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40) forum.

yakul
06-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Check this game out - it sounds like it has alot of the elements you are talking about.

http://www.1944game.com/

I found out about it because some of their artists post work on this forum.
Maybe simulating real war isnt that fun?
Usually it takes one bullet to make a solider useless in battle, and a big part of large scale battles is sieging and advancing a lot slower then like in the games.
A single battle can take days, if you want so much to simulate a real battle you will have to play for days for a single battle, even if you cut off all the pauses in the battles.

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2005, 07:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.