PDA

View Full Version : Making a window cut out the wall.

3dHobo
06-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Greetings,

I've been having problems getting an AEC Window to cut the wall out. I did it once, but I can't remember how I did it (argh). It's been driving me crazy. I've read the help file about windows and it doesn't help at all. I was wondering if anyone can help me figure this out.

One other thing, does the window have to be on an AEC Wall or can I use a box as the walls?

I'm using 3ds Max 7.5 on a Dual 3ghz Xeon, Nvidia Quadro 4400 and 2 gig of ram.

Thanks!

Verma
06-17-2005, 06:57 PM
If you want to cut out the wall by window then it has to be AEC Wall object. It does not work on other geometry. You can however after cutting the wall convert it to poly/mesh. This way the hole will still be there.

Here's how you add a window to the AEC Wall:

1. Make a Wall and switch to wireframe mode in perspective viewport.
2. Right click on the wall and choose properties.
3. Turn off "Backface Cull".
4. Now you should be able to see 2 edges for say bottom of the wall.
5. Turn on Snap to Edges.
6. Create-Window by clicking on the outer edge and draging along the outer edge.
7. Let the mouse button go and drag to the inner edge, click to finish and drag up for height.
8. Once done creating window, move it to desired location.

Good luck.

3dHobo
06-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Thank you sir. I've managed to get it to work again, but I need a lot of practice. It took me several times to get it to work.

Thanks again for the timely advice. It's very much appreciated!

robinb
06-19-2005, 07:52 PM
If you don't want to snap drag out the window directly on the wall (it can be a bit tricky if you want to input a lot of precise settings) you can simply move the window until it intersects the wall and then link it to the wall, then the hole gets cut out automatically. You can still move the window (or door) around and the hole will update.

3dHobo
06-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks again guys for the replies and I've tried them both with little success. Why is the window object so hard to use? I know I'm no pro, but geez, this is rediculous. I try and draw a window and it looks nothing like a window. Is there something I'm missing or is this just a difficult step I'm going to suffer with for the next few months or years? If I am fortunate enough to get the wall cut out, when I render I get a really weird shape instead of a window, but most of the time I can't even get the wall cut out. Oh, I might add, snaps and I don't get along very well.

I'm getting very frustrated with this. I never thought drawing a window would prove to be so darn difficult, for me anyways.

Thanks for the suggestions and I guess I'll just keep on struggling and I'll try to keep the swear words to myself :).

robinb
06-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Could be that your scene is set up at a weird scale and the default values of the window are coming out too big and overlapping making a mess. I had this a little while ago (although I wouldn't have though mm was a weird scale to be working with coming from CAD drawings).

Go through the settings on the window and make them all really tiny values and see if it looks better that way. Once you've got a window set up right you can instance it or copy it and use that as the basis of all the others. If you still can't get one right, try resetting max and make a window in a default scene. Save it out and merge it into your scene. It'll probably be massive compred to your scene.

FlyByNight
06-22-2005, 10:40 AM
the windows come out in really really crappy dimensions... its not very intuitive...

what i try and do to work it out, is move the "open" slider (or weva itcalled cnt remba, it opens the windows) to 50 %...

it gives u a better feel of what way round the window is, and then u can ifx up ur dimensions to make it look half reasonable,....

hope that helps

AroundTheFur
06-22-2005, 10:03 PM
I am having a lot of trouble with this as well. I followed the reference exactly to no avail.

I do the following steps:

1) Create a wall from the top view and weld the last click to close the wall

2) turn on edge snap and go into a persp view in wireframe

3) snap to the outer edge, click and drag still snapped to the outer edge until i have a width i like, release

4) snap to the inner edge to get the depth, click, and release

5) pull the mouse down with snap off to get my window height

In the reference is says i should now have a cut out window but all i can see is the frame in shaded view, because the walls are still obstructing the view of the window (it has not been cut out)

what am i missing here guys?
-s

edit: it must have been my scene file, i reset and it worked. =)

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2005, 10:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.