PDA

View Full Version : your techniques in modeling

bloxdesign
06-17-2005, 03:27 PM
helllo i am new to the 3d enviroment. I would like to ask some of yall what are your techniques in modeling espesically anatomy. what i mean is box modeling. splines? or what?

thanks

Stahlberg
06-17-2005, 03:46 PM
For anatomy, polygons. (Definitely better than NURBS, usually better than SubD's.)
It doesn't matter if you start with a box, a cylinder or a flowerpot - a polygon is the same no matter where it came from. 99% of the hard work comes AFTER you've roughed the basic shape in. But many say it's quicker to start with a box. :shrug:

Nerd_Pack
06-17-2005, 04:52 PM
sometimes with faces that I animate I'll start out with curves where the need to go, circles around the mouth and eyes basically, and make maybe... 20 of those and build up around the face. Make those into a surface, go to polys, and go from there. I find that the easiest way, for me anyway, to get the right flow in for animation, just starting with the basic lines.

The biggest advice I have for you though: BE PATIENT! It takes a really long time to get through all of the stages of modelling, and it takes a long time to learn to do it realistically, and you just sort of have to go at it and learn and figure stuff out, you'll develop your own favorite way of doing it. You just gotta do it! Good luck!

dbclemons
06-17-2005, 05:15 PM
I'm an up-res poly modeler I guess, but use several methods. Start simple, build it up as I go. Not a big fan of NURBS either. Max is my tool of choice and I use the Surface tools a lot, but at some point there's a mix of many different techniques.

Box and spline, etc. basically refers to how one starts off. Box = starting with a box, then beveling, extruding, dividing, etc. Splines requires drawing out the main loops and filling them in.

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/boxhead/index2.htm

http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/3ddocs/facialmodeling/modeling.html

-David

jmBoekestein
06-18-2005, 01:12 AM
The way I approach it is to figure out how complex I need to go for something. And sooner or later it's going to go beyond comprehension, then it becoms important to plan ahead so you don't make misstakes. Stick to the plan youmake and learn from your misstakes immediately.

I like NURBS, the nature of them allows for very good surface flow, they're a little harder but organic modelling is harder anyway. :shrug: I use the NURBS to force better edgelooping, allthough it's not absolutely necessary, in regards to planning(which is one of my weak parts) it's damn useful.

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2005, 01:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.