PDA

View Full Version : Can Vue Export Images In CMYK?

Jonj1611
06-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Hi,

Ok, after a nightmare time with a printshop, does anybody know if Vue 4.2 can export images already in CMYK mode rather than RGB?

Thanks In Advance.
Jon

biliousfrog
06-17-2005, 06:25 PM
I'm not sure that any 3d software can export as CMYK.....they work natively in RGB, any conversion for print should really be done in a program designed for such things eg, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Photopaint etc. CMYK is a strange beast, if you haven't got your hardware setup for print work it's normally best to keep everything as RGB & let the printers convert it.

Jonj1611
06-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Hi,

Yeah, I have Photoshop 7 and conversion is a nightmare. Nothing ever looks right. I think the print company call the conversion a "service" and thus charge you more. I guess if that's the way it is I will need to live with that!

Thanks
Jon

paulhart
06-17-2005, 09:59 PM
CMYK is the color space for standard print work. I always work in RGB for most of my apps then save off a .TIF copy that I then convert to CMYK within Photoshop CS, and make some levels and saturation adjustments to the final image before sending it off to the printer. I have adequately calibrated monitor/scanner/printer profiles in place on my system and have the color space for Photoshop set to Adobe RGB (1998), which is the best compromise between the various types of work I do. My CMYK setup is U.S Web Coated (SWOP) v2. My conversion options are set to "Engine: Adobe (ACE)" and "Intent: Perceptual." These are generally recommended settings. Be aware that some colors are more "fugitive" in the conversion between RGB and CMYK, since the later is a much more restrictive color space and much is lost for certain particular colors. Soft rainbow hues, soft violets, pastels, light sky tones, some flesh tones, are all "iffy." Check with your particular printer, in case they are using a "higher end" printer, in which case they may want the original RGB, and do the conversion in house to get the most of the available colors. As you can tell, it can be tricky, but I have a workflow that generates consistant predictable results. For in-house proofing I am able to use a Epson2200 which uses a 7color ink model for wider gamut, and for my own personal pieces I output to an Epson 9600 Wide format with the same archival inkset (CcMmYKk), but I am very careful not to represent that what these printer output corresponds to what a "printer" will generate. I will usually make some adjustments to best represent eventual output for the client.

mboi
06-23-2005, 03:12 PM
Hello

I run a Prepress department for a UK based packaging company, you question pops up almost everyday so I'll give you a little advise.

Set your RGB working space to Adobe RGB (1998) and the CMYK to U.S Web Coated (SWOP) v2 or Euroscale Coated v2 if you are in Europe.

If you have no real colour workflow your self turn the colour management polices off, if there's a rouge ICC profile in there it can confuse the hell out of some Print Shops and in my opinion ICC profiles should NEVER EVER be embedded inside the image. whoever came up with the Idea should be shot.

Conversion options, the engine should be set to Adobe ACE and the intent to either Perceptual if you have RGB colour way outside the CMYK gamut or relative colour metric if you tend to work with colours that are usually inside the gamut.

I recommend getting a high end proof from your print shop and only choose a print shop if they have proofing devices calibrated to match their printing presses, if they say they have get them to prove it.

So it's Simple, do the conversion yourself, pay for a proof from the print shop, if you don't like it do the colour amends yourself and get another proof. when they print the job the colour should match the proof they supplied because they have it calibrated to their presses.

So the only thing you should cop for is a proof or two, better than a pallet of printed paper and a print sales man saying "Ah that would be the RGB CMYK conversion, bad luck"

Hope this helps.

Jonj1611
06-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi,

Many thanks for the tips, I will try them tonight.

Thanks
Jon

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2005, 06:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.