PDA

View Full Version : Those uuh 'Classical' elements.

SOE digital
06-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Heya folks, please don't be turned off by my apparent 'n00b' status...been in the zone for years now, so I wont as stupid questions.

Most of us who are into film making, like watching films, like to read and write etc, would all have noticed reoccuring themes, morals, ideas etc within famous stories.
Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones and many other well known films have all taken from older stories...Star Wars probably being the winner here.

We also understand that most stories are split into categories of "intro to characters", "conflict" and "resolve conflict" or something along those lines.

Now I'm working on a story at the momment, set during the days of heroic fighting with swords etc...I wish to 'steal' from all these 'classical' elements without unknowingly turning my film into someone elses.

So really, the idea of this thread is to ask if people can just pitch their ideas for some of those classical films we all know about. Things like the ladie in distress, the hero, the villian, the mean guy who always turns good, the two blokes who hate each other but always end up saving one another...etc.

So, go for your life folks...
...and thanks. :)

scotttygett
06-22-2005, 10:47 AM
Please rephrase your thread as a question. It's got a few major typo's, and a few divergent requests.

Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea" I've been told, borrows from Homer, but is written after the end of the Korean War, directly commenting on it. His stylistic gamuts having to do with wordplay are also fairly well known. A literary authority I know, Roger Olson, doesn't think that classical references in post-modern literature are worth the trouble any more. Nobody reads Goethe, so whether or not Pound, Fitzgerald and Hemingway read Goethe is only relevant to a scholar.

Personally, I'm less interested in nourishingly rich prose, than exalting prose, if such a thing is possible. There is something elevating about a character who crafts their exit to bring the invisible world's escalator to the door jamb of the mundane, as it would appear the ancients did.

You may want to read back over some of the threads here, and rephrase your question in terms like they use?

tyboogie
07-04-2005, 08:38 PM
if you havent already, check out Joseph Campbells' "the hero with a thousand faces". it talks about the archetypes found in different cultures myths

not exactly what your asking for..but relevant to"classical elements"

ty

groutcho
07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
I dare quoting myself from a previous thread :

"People telling stories exist since the birth of mankind, so the stories are redundant. They all tell the same stories, whatever the characters, the action, the epoch. Art is just a wheel that repeats on itself, but at each turn, it grabs some new elements, such as new design for props, new filming techniques, new ways of structuring stories. what's the difference between superman, neo, heracles ? They are just superhero stories. But the details change, the fashion of telling the story, the choices of graphic style. Creating a totally original piece of art is purely impossible. I am writing a story, and it is about a superhero (already done before me), who is fighting against a very powerful foe (already done before me), with the help of friends(my god, already done before me !). Every story is just a revisited greek tragedy or comedy. It's just taking a legacy, adding something of your own, and show it to other artists who will take your legacy, adding something of their own, and show it to you, who will take their legacy..."

I hope it helps making the wheel of this thread heavier :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-04-2005, 09:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.