PDA

View Full Version : 2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!THE BIGCHASE : Igor Sandman (live action)WIP

igorsandman
06-17-2005, 11:00 AM
EDIT

It's now finished.
You can download it here:
EDIT: I had problems with my webhost, the file is now here: http://rapidshare.de/files/3541719/Igor_Sandman_2__Film_Club_The_Big_Chase__480-270_.mov.html

Title: The 3rd Guest
Pitch: Death has been chasing Life for ages and sometimes, one of us is a helpless witness.
Cast and crew:
Directed by Igor Sandman
With Steph (as The Man in Grey, Igor Sandman (as The Islander) and Mike (as Death)
Music: Brouillard by Marsen Jules: http://www.marsenjules.de (http://www.marsenjules.de/)

Length: 1'51
Language: English
Time to complete: 3 days (one day for shooting and two days for color grading, editing and sound recording)
Softwares used: Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop

Thanks for viewing.
-IS-

Hey all,
OK here is my WIP thread.

All I've got now is an overall idea. When I first read the topic, my first reaction was to make something nervous like a car chase or people running with a drum'n'bass beat and all those things. After a second thought, I'm gonna aim at something darker and softer at the same time.
I'm gonna interpret the theme as THE Big Chase: Death chasing Life. Death has been pursuing Life for ages and that's what I'd like to portray. I want to show it through the eyes of a mere human beeing (for the audience to identify with) to help keep the viewer's attention. It's gonna be quite surreal and I don't want to loose anybody during the story. I also want to show a wretched human beeing in front of forces that go far beyond his comprehension. That representative of mankind will be a hitman (to stay true to the theme: life and death) at the end of his career (not because he's old, but because his time has come). I hope I'll be able to show that man has no right to play with death, but that's another story.
This won't be easy to show in two minutes, but I'm pretty confident.
I post the script as soon as it is finished.
Stay tuned.
-IS-

BTW, it's gonna be called The Prey

AWBenson
06-17-2005, 01:41 PM
An interesting story. It sounds like you'll have to protray alot in just 2 minutes to get the grasp of that story. Perhaps a heavy use of stereotypes because you will not have much time to develop any of the characters.

Best of Luck.

stepington
06-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Sounds cool!
Is it to be animated? Live action? Both? Can't wait to see more.

-stephen

igorsandman
06-17-2005, 05:39 PM
Hey thanks for your replies.

AWBenson: Indeed, trying to make a "character driven story" in two minutes is dangerous IMO. I prefer to go for an "events driven story". Plus it's gonna be surreal so the characters have less importance in there peronnality than in what they represent.

stepington: It's gonna be a live action film (as stated in the thread title;)). You'll see more soon :) Thanks.

Regards.
-IS-

stepington
06-17-2005, 05:54 PM
Ah, of course, yes. . . I see. . . :blush:.

Cool!

igorsandman
07-10-2005, 05:02 PM
The film will be shot tomorow if everything goes well. Here is the shot listing. Sorry, no storyboard, I can't draw.

1. The camera proceeds slowly into a dark corridor toward a bright light. Shot from the ground.
2. Wide shot of a field. The Man in Grey stands on the right of the frame, turning his back to the left. He wears a grey suit and glasses.
3. Middle shot from belt to head. He takes a gun out of his jacket and he pulls the hammer
4. Same as 1.
5. Close up on the Man in Grey's face.

(another time and place)
6. Middle shot from the side. We see the Man in Grey shooting at someone then he sees something.
7. The Man in Grey fall back frightened by the vision of Death near his victim.
8. Close up on Death face. We hear a shot.
9. Close up on blood flooding next to Death's hand.

(back to the same time and place as the begining)
10. Same as 5.
11. Same as 2. A Nervous Man enters the farme and walks to the left side of the screen.
12. Same as 1.
13. Close up on the face of the Man in Grey. The Nervous Man appears on the left side of the frame. The Man in Grey turns back to face him. As he does, The camera moves down untill the Man in Grey's gun is in the foreground and the Nervous Man in the background.
14. Shot of the man in Grey with the Nervous Man's gun in the foreground.
15. Close up on the Nervous Man's eyes.
16. Close up on the Man in Grey's eyes.
17. Same as 2 but Death is in between the two, standing still with His arms in front of His head.
18. Middle shot from the side. The Nervous man pulls out his gun and aim at the Man in Grey. Everything freezes.
19. Still shot at the Man in Grey's gun falling on the ground as he just dropped it.
20. The camera moves forward as Death is walking to the Man in Grey, covering his face with the sleeve of His black robe. Fade to black. We hear a gun shot.
21. Close up on the gun falling on the ground in slow motion
22. same as 1 + fade to white. THE END.

Notes:
- The title has changed from The Prey to The 3rd Guest.
- There will be a monologue, but I didn't write it yet (I only have a rough idea for now).
- A few shots might change given the environment and such.

More news coming tomorow evening.
Later.
-IS-

RobertoOrtiz
07-12-2005, 10:22 PM
Well the voting thread goes up next Monday.

Looking forward to your work.

-R

igorsandman
07-14-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm almost finished.
We finished shooting on Thuesday. Yesterday, I worked on the esthetic (color grading and so on).
Here are a few screenshots:

Shot 17 in the list (same as shot 2):
http://www.igorsandman.net/images/the3rdguest1_big.jpg

Shot 14 in the list:
http://www.igorsandman.net/images/the3rdguest2_big.jpg

Shot 21 in the list:
http://www.igorsandman.net/images/the3rdguest3_big.jpg

Ok so today I add the last touch up to the editing then I work on the sound.
Stay tuned.
-IS-

igorsandman
07-15-2005, 01:46 PM
Yeah! My entry is finished. I edited the first post with everything you might wanna know about it :)
Wish me luck.
-IS-

Velk
07-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Fantasic Work!! Your sound levels could use a bit of work, but your story was great, I'll watch it again.

igorsandman
07-15-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeah, when I increase the volume, some hissing noises appear. I'm defenitely not a sound guy :(
Thanks for your kind comment, Velk.
Regards.
-IS-

ZaKKoS
07-15-2005, 03:23 PM
I've watched your film right now, you've done a very good job with that grading and filtering!
I noticed that you and my friend in the short have the same shirt :D

Good luck Igor, good work :)

sergioKomic
07-15-2005, 03:39 PM
The stills are impressive.... the size of the movie is scaring me ...
(again Greece = Internet stone age)

Im downloading as we speak....

(bet you win for cinematography...)

igorsandman
07-15-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey,
@ZaKKoS:
Thanks:) Yeah I noticed about the shirt thing when I saw your entry too :D

@sergioKomic:
Sorry about the size. I made two different size for people like you with no broadband, but I guess I should have done smaller. Sorry about that. You'll surely have a bad time downloading all the entries... Your kind words about the cinematography of my film goes straight to my heart. Thank you.

stevesherrin
07-15-2005, 09:41 PM
I feel overwhelmed! Absolutely gorgeous cinematography. Great job!

RobertoOrtiz
07-16-2005, 06:21 PM
First I would like to thank Samuel Kvaalen for coding this voting page and hosting it.

Go >>HERE<< (http://kvaalen.com/cgtalk/2minfilm/enter.php?num=5) and post your infromation if you want your animation to be part of the voting on Monday night.

Just FILL ONE of the entries and press SUBMIT at the end.

-R

archerx
07-19-2005, 06:35 PM
hey i saw you're movie and i liked it, very interesting story. but the one thing that bugged me a litte was the guy's accent, but i like the metaphore "in a duel there's always 3 people"

good luck man !

jammin
07-19-2005, 09:27 PM
Sandman,

just watched your movie -very nice; you've got my vote even though it kind of bothers me that you were able to pull this off in 'three days' compared to others spending many weeks on their projects. this is the way it goes however, and fortunately, i do realize that your story, shotlist, scene searching, camera angles, as well as the character development took much longer than that.

as a result of these 'hidden efforts', your film doesn't feel thrown together at all. although i did not feel the whole "wretched human being" in the part of 'man in grey,' i still felt his struggles and his shock, confusion and finally, acceptance of being caught up in his situation. i sincerely appreciate the way you focused on story and character developpment with simple dialogue, lighting and camera moves and didn't feel compelled to rely on (or at least integrate) the usual muzzle flashes, spraying blood and guts, etc.

you crossed the camera line when the man in grey throws his gun down but it seems like you got away with it since the shot still works (even though i had to go back and check to see that the gun was indeed in his original 'gun hand' :D ). honestly, my only crit would be simply that death's cloak seems too new. it would have furthered HIS character had it been older, even torn, stained, faded, etc. (you know, the usual death's cloak stuff)

so :thumbsup: to a job well done. thanks for sharing this with us. hope to see more of your work in the future -just remember we'll be expecting everything you do to be of this quality (and better) from now on :)

ben

and thankyou! thankyou! thankyou! for changing the title; good move imo

Yav
07-19-2005, 11:23 PM
that was truly cringeworthy....:sad:

stepington
07-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Howdy-doo,

I watched your short several days ago - sorry I didn't respond sooner - congratulations on finishing and doing a great job! I liked the color grading. It looks so much more nicer than raw video colors.

archerx
07-20-2005, 06:10 AM

it would be way more contructive if you said WHY it was "truly cringeworthy".

jammin
07-20-2005, 08:36 PM
and just what DOES 'cringeworthy' mean? (could be good cringeworthy, could be bad cringeworthy -the unhappy face leads me to suspect the latter...)

...somewhat vague and about as useful as a heart attack.

RobertoOrtiz
07-20-2005, 08:43 PM

Lets keep the criticism to be constructive. We all students one way or another.

-R

jammin
07-20-2005, 08:57 PM
thanks roberto, and i think what archerx refered to is SO important. feedback of ANY type can be constructive (i mean, we can't expect everyone to "love it or shut up," right?)

some horror movies are cringeworthy, the image of the octopus shaving its legs (arms?) in the 3d choice gallery makes ME cringe; it's not necessarily a bad thing but as an artist, i sure would appreciate knowing why my work evoked that feeling or response in a viewer...

personally, i enjoyed the sandman's work and told him why. if i hadn't liked it i would have told him why as well -if i could do it in a constructive or helpful manner; to just spout some vague remark and then bail doesn't seem like it would help anyone

RobertoOrtiz
07-27-2005, 02:33 PM
Just wanted to personally invite you to join:

2-MINUTE FILM CLUB!:Challenge:2 "The fight" (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=261978)

-R

igorsandman
07-31-2005, 11:59 AM
Hey.
I'm back from vacation.
@Ben:
Thanks for your constructive comment, Ben.
It took me three full days of actual filmmaking. The time took for the developpment of the idea is hard to evaluate since I thought about it when I got the time to think (in the bus and such...). I hope I didn't feel like showing off, like "I can do it in three days".
I indeed crosed the camera line because I couldn't get a satisfying shot of the gun falling without breaking that damn line. Since it's a close up, I think it doesn't show too much. I decided to do it more on feeling. I hope it pays.
I'll try to make another film for the next challenge. I'll try to make it better.
Thanks.
@Yavor:
Your first post on CGTalk is truly cringeworthy :(
It seems my cringeworthiness takes more time than yours. My cringeworthy film took me three days while your cringeworthy post took you 2 seconds. You're fast when it comes to cringeworthing.
BTW does cringeworthy mean I should be ashamed of my film? If so, I'm not.
@Roberto:
Thanks for the invitation, I'll probably be in. Thanks for all you're doing for this challenge.
Regards.
-IS-

stepington
07-31-2005, 03:53 PM
Glad to see you're returning for the next challenge - I'll look forward to watching your WIP thread.

Today is my final work day before vacation! yeeeeeeeeeee-ha!!!

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2005, 03:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.