PDA

View Full Version : when to use compositing? when just rendering in 3d

Raptor235
02-18-2002, 07:08 AM
Hi there I was just wondering if I could get some feed back on when I should settle for rendering everything in a 3d package or when I should break it all up and then put it back together in a comp package such as shake. I know you get a lot more control over each layer if you break it up but I dunno I just need some imput on when and how people break things up and just some tricks of the trade if anyone has any to share.

Chris
02-18-2002, 07:29 AM
He he, My simple answer would be "Whenever you think you can get away with it" :)

I tend to do everything to layers & composite as much as possible, mainly because of the flexibility involved. The number of times clients want to change things at the last minute is mind boggling. If you have everything separated, layered & G-Buffered, that last minute is a bit later, as you can quickly change things; like colour correcting individual elements, adjusting reflections, adding motion blurs & glows etc etc.

sekhmet
02-19-2002, 01:57 PM
i think pass rendering can be really useful when you have heavy geometry to render
just imagine you have been rendering for days a complex dinosaur (fR rendering maybe:) ) and its background and you have to rerender it just because there is something wrong in the bg!! cool:mad:
and of course it allows more flexibility when dealing with color corrections and filters, changing he scene composition..etc

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.