PDA

View Full Version : Poser to Vue

scurra
06-16-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm a bit of a newcomer to using both Poser and Vue. I was all geared up to make my first scene in vue with poser human models when I found to my dismay that when I export a .3ds file from poser for use in Vue it imports with no textures. Is there another way to get a poser file into vue with the texture data intact because the web site boasts compatibility between the two i'm just failing to get it..

Many thanks,

Scurra

ArtGuyJoe
06-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Vue 5 has the ability to read the native PZ3 file of the Poser family. In Vue, go to File>Import and choose PZ3.

WillBellJr
06-16-2005, 07:07 PM
I was thinking about buying Poser 6 myself (in preps to upgrade my Vue4 to V5I) and I'm wondering the same about P6...

Amazon has it for $185 with a rebate for $70 so it seems like a good deal!

I'm also interested in perhaps retopolizing the Poser models in say Silo3D and this would allow me to shape my models in Poser and use the meshes as a basis in Silo - just thinking out loud here - that may not even be necessary but I haven't used Poser since V1 and V2 (upgrade)!

Anyone have any stories, or gotchas to tell, or does Poser work pretty much decently with Vue 5I?

Thanks!

-Will

lapdog
06-16-2005, 09:18 PM
I've imported several Victoria 2 and 3 models using the native Poser .pz3 file and they look fine. However, Vue crashed (or aborted the import - I forget) when trying to import a Poser 6 model with dynamic hair. Remove all hair props and the model imports and looks good in fact.

Not having the dynamic hair come across is a major problem, and my limited experience says almost no other application can work with Poser's dynamic hair. For example, a 3DSMax 7.5 plugin called GestureMax can read native Poser .pz3 files, but it doesn't support dynamic hair. The makers of GestureMax suggest that you can do hair using the native 3DSMax tools and do a better job in fact. BTW, GestureMax does not import the "pose".

I'm working in Maya, so I'm having to learn how to do hair in Maya for Poser 6 figures like Jessie and James.

Older models like Victoria and Mike have hair that will show up in Vue.

Hope this helps.

lapdog
06-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Forgot to mention that if you are exporting Poser 6 models like Jessie and James to other applications you might delete all the hair props except the follicle skullcap which is ideal for growing hair in Max or Maya.

Dale B
06-17-2005, 11:58 AM
The Vue-Poser interoperability depend on:
1) Which version of each you have. In the case of Infinite and P6, Poser's SR1 changed some basic code, preventing the dynamics from importing correctly. E-on is waiting for the updated SDK from E-frontier, which was delayed as Curious Labs became E-frontier and relocated their offices.
2) What kind of resources you are actually trying to shove into the mix. Very large skin textures and bump maps can give Vue fits; Most people don't bother to scale down the 4000x4000 hi-res body and face textures that Poser users routinely use in making extreme close up renders and portraits. Vue simply doesn't handle texture files of that size well.
3) How good the user is at cleaning up content issues. Poser has a recursive search function; if it doesn't find a texture or bump map where the cr2 specifies, it will search the texture folder tree for it (in many ways a good thing, but also the cause of many of the 'crashes' or lock-ups). None of the Vue importers have that; they depend on exact, correct pathnames. Over at Renderosity, do a search in the freebie section for 'hogwarden'. He coded two very useful apps; P-Booost, which expands the library system enough where you can customize it to your liking, and Correct Reference, which scans the entire Poser runtime and locates all of the erroneous pathnames to resource files. It can then either fix them all itself (NOT recommended), or present you with the list and the options available to fix manually.
4) How creative you are. Vue basically plays a Poser animation; any interaction between the figure and the Vue content are up to you (I tend to either use set pieces in Poser and adjust the animation to suit there, then import the whole shebang, or use primitives as markers and build the Vue scene up to match the marker location, then go back into Poser and delete the markers).

WillBellJr
06-17-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks for your input on this guys - much appreciated - I should be getting my Poser 6 this morning from amazon ;)

-Will

Wabe
06-20-2005, 02:15 PM
I think Dale said it all already. Only one thing for the Poser 6 users - to avoid the question. THE QUESTION so to say.

The question always is: "my pz3 imports into Vue without the morphs. How come?"

Very simple answer - since 6 Poser stores by default the morphs in an extra file. You can switch that behaviour off in the Poser preferences. Don't forget to do that.

BTW, i don't have a problem to import Poser dynamic hair so far. Only the material settings need a rework, there is probably a bug still. BUT, someone has provided a tutorial for that (how dynamic hair looks good in Vue.)

If you are nice to me i can find it again.

ArtGuyJoe
06-20-2005, 05:15 PM
*gives Wabe a scooby-snack for his efforts on locating said tutorial*

Wabe
06-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Ok, found it - printed and lying on my desk. You see it? I hold it up right now!

but you as well can try this: Dynamic hair in Vue 5 (http://www.perpetualvisions.com/articles-and-graphics/v5p5-tutorial-hair.htm)

WillBellJr
06-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the link. ;)

-Will

CGTalk Moderation
06-21-2005, 01:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.