PDA

View Full Version : What light-type do you use for fill lights?

Tabby
06-16-2005, 11:19 AM
For large outdoor areas, what type of light do you use to simulate the light from the sky, etc.? I use directional lights but i don't know if that's the best type. What i want is for the light to generate the soft shadows that are characteristic of fill lights.

Niandji
06-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Since Vue 5I, not many as it has the GA/GI light settings, but in the past I would use maybe 1 directional (usually the sun), 2-3 large quadratic points for general fill and a few smaller quadratic spots and points for specific areas.

agiel
06-22-2005, 03:53 PM
Check out the tutorials on Robert Czarny's website : http://www.graphique3d.republika.pl/
He is using multiple directional lights to get that effect.

You can also position spotlights around your scene and use blurred shadows to simulate the smooth look you are after.

Finally, if you have Vue 5 or Vue Infinite, you can use Global Illumination, HDRI, IBL or Radiosity directly if long render times are not a problem for you.

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2005, 03:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.