PDA

View Full Version : 8.3

Mike RB
06-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Hey guys,

I'm finally able to upgrade from 8.0 to 8.3 and was wondering what unwritten pitfalls are involved in this new version... I know there are new stuff with the UV's... is there anything else I need to watch out for?

Thanks.

Mike

jabbermike
06-16-2005, 06:55 AM
don't let 8.3 overwrite you configs! if you have your own set of menus and shortcuts, save your setting from the key and form the menu panel. delete/move your "old" configs and then install 8.3 then reload the setting form the panels back again.

I first let 8.3 overwrite my old configs (as I always did since 6.0 without problems) but that got me a lot of crashes every couple of minutes. since I had 8.3 make its own configs things are much much better.

mike

Kid-Mesh
06-16-2005, 11:59 AM
don't let 8.3 overwrite you configs! if you have your own set of menus and shortcuts, save your setting from the key and form the menu panel. delete/move your "old" configs and then install 8.3 then reload the setting form the panels back again.

I first let 8.3 overwrite my old configs (as I always did since 6.0 without problems) but that got me a lot of crashes every couple of minutes. since I had 8.3 make its own configs things are much much better.

mike

What about if you havent created your own set of configs, would you still recommend having 8.3 create brand new ones? Because I get some weird crashes every now and again with 8.3 :shrug:

jabbermike
06-16-2005, 01:43 PM
Yeah! NT recomends that too. You have nothing to lose. One thing you should think about is to rescan your plugin folder(s) to get really alle plugins back on board.

mike

Mike RB
06-16-2005, 06:46 PM
Ok, so just the standard tiptoe-ing around the configs. I don't even really know what goodies are in 8.1/8.2/8.3... I should probably go find some readme's

Mike

monovich
06-16-2005, 08:32 PM
8.3 has got some nice improvements, definitely read up on it. The PSD export is great, for one, and there is a new hypervoxels blending mode that's nice.

on an unrelated note, do you mind if I email or PM you with some questions about some shots on your demo reel? I'm interested in how you did some of the compositing. Great reel, by the way.

thx,

-Steve

telamon
06-16-2005, 09:19 PM
one of the funkiest feature shipped with 8.2 was the new antialiasing algorithm. I recommend that you have a look on the new AA methods. I am very fond of the Lancsos one which gives very interesting results on celshaded characters.

Mike RB
06-16-2005, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the replies, ill have to look into the AA stuff. I'm used to rendering everything on enhanced high aa. Ask anyquestions you want about the comps on my reel. I didn't comp a lot of the stuff but I supervised the final results so I can answer anything you need to know.

michael"AT"elementvfx.com

Mike

Netvudu
06-17-2005, 10:46 AM
I seem to be having problems when loading some objects created with 8.x into 8.3. Donīt know exactly what the problem is because itīs not hapenning with all objects, just some of them.They are mutlilayered objects, and usually involve polylines as they started as imported .dxf files.

You might want to be aware of that, Mike.

Mike RB
06-17-2005, 07:54 PM
polylines=2pt poly chains?

Castius
06-18-2005, 12:38 AM
In 8.3 they added the ability to creat polygons with more than 1024 points. I think this might be effect some objects. I looked at one that was simaler to yours Netvudu and it was the curves in the model that were the issue.

in 8.2
cut the curves from the model
paste then into a new model
export them at lightwave 5 format
reopen the exported object
paste them back into the model and resave.

Hi MB

8.3 really need clean configsd to run smoothly. Rescane plugs cause there is a new text plugin.

Other than that 8.3 is pretty solid. Have fun.

Netvudu
06-18-2005, 01:38 PM
yup, with polylines I mean 2 point poly chains.

Iīm not certain about the curve thing...I would say there were no curves in those models, but Iīll have to check to be sure.

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2005, 01:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.