PDA

View Full Version : blending colors

tunerchiq
06-16-2005, 02:17 AM
Hey everyone, my first post here as a n00b who's just gotten a tablet. :D Thanks in advance for all responses!

I've been practicing and getting used to my tablet, which I got yesterday. I've noticed that many people recommend using hard edged brushes instead of relying on soft edged brushes set to really low opacity. I recall seeing someone in the How To Paint In Photoshop thread calling it 'microglazing'. I'm a big fan of Linda Bergkvist's paintings and looking at one of her quick sketches (Audrey Hepburn) and I saw that she uses hard edged brushes (I think...I really wouldn't know for sure...) to block in her colors and build up the structure of the face, just like people advise in CGTalk's forums. What I'm wondering is how you blend the colors into each other once you've blocked all these colors in...I'd love to see your methods and your advice.

Thanks again!

Kasuhaku
06-16-2005, 10:12 PM
The pressure sensitivity of the tablett does half the trick. The others depend on your own style and approach to painting. Some prefer to blotch color onto the canvas and then smear the colors together - I'm not to fond of that method, you tend to create a lot of unwanted textures and colors that way. A nice way to blend colors with Photoshop is to lay down the colors, then using only a minimum of pressure to apply shades and hues. If you have established your colorscheme and you need to refine shapes and colors, use the ALT on your keyboard to pick up colors from your canvas. I have one of the extra-Keys on my GT set as a shortcut, so i only need to click and release the button to pick up a color. The hard-edged brush is one of the best brushes in Photoshop to work with, but you should try out a lot of different brushes, too - create your own brushes to see what you can do with those :)

_slvl
06-17-2005, 09:46 AM
tip for creating brushes: take a picture , desaturate it or set the colormode to greyscale and play with the levels untill you find a nice pattern. rework the edges so you don't have a square brush (or don't if you want a square brush.)

fyi: white is transparent, black is opaque and grey is everything in between.

To set the pattern as a brush: edit>Define Brush Preset. Give it a nice name and you're all set.

To blend colors play with the opacity and flow

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2005, 09:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.