PDA

View Full Version : Fight for Life

doobywho
06-15-2005, 11:08 PM
I came across an idea I had for a film back from about 10 years ago. What do you think about the idea? Should I pick it back up or should I just leave it in the past?

In the year 2086, the development of new technology has led to the breed of a new generation of criminals. A terrorist group, Ice Ops, has been studying Nyne-Research, a top security government research lab in space for over 30 years. Ice Ops has been monitoring their research and finally decides to make a move. Nyne-Research has been researching a superior alien race they discovered in a volcano on Mars, one they planned to keep secret from the public because of their superior technology that could be used to create mass weapons of destructions and time travel devices. Instead of announcing the alien existence, they have been using their research to develop their own new technology to help stay prepared for the next world war. Ice Ops plans on copying this research and using it to develop their technology which could be used to commit the ultimate crimes. Years after they acquire the research, the government finds out and the battle begins. The government is now fighting a new breed of criminals. Little do they know, the alien race they have been studying has been studying them and plans on attacking earth. The government and Ice Ops decide to come together to protect Earth from extinction. Will one of them partner with the aliens? Will the aliens win? Will we win? This is the ultimate Fight for Life.

Tyler Lockett
06-16-2005, 03:14 PM
hey doobywho

my first intial reaction to this pitch is that its too conviluted and complicated to really grab someone with a catchy concept. Its a little hard to follow. you got a group who steals technology from teh feds to make WOMD, but then they have to join up with the feds to fight the aliens. ehh...i dont know..why should i care? It feels a little too much like independence day..or something else ive already seen.
its missing that HOOK. theres not alot of interest in watching too groups who want to kill eachother ..join forces to kill a foreign entitiy IMO/.

what if the aliens secretly came down with new tech..but the ice ops and feds went to war. who would the aliens choose as their alliance? are the ice ops terrorists anarchists bent on destruction? if so, maybe you could have the aliens fighting with the feds/army.

or what if the humans went to teh mars volcanoe(or another alien planet) and helped to fight a war there against 2 alien factions?

Im not saying these ideas are great, but theyre a little different than what weve already seen.

what you have here, in teh end, is a humans defending earth from aliens story. which has been done , and hopefully really well by spielberg this summer. so what else caan we add to this concept to make it fresh? what if one of the weapons of teh aliens turns a person against his allies. so not only are we fighting to save earth from extinction, but we have to fight our own species who start turning against us. hmmm... not sure about that...but it adds a layer of drama to the mix. if you have a desire to tell a story about defending earth from aliens i would brainstorm and explore all the unique, fresh, and bizzarre directions that havent been done yet.

hope my feedback has helped a little bit.

ty

doobywho
06-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I had written this idea about 10 years ago so I wouldnt be to sad if I dropped the idea. However, I'd like to think I could make it work. I think the main reason I didnt want to go with humans traveling to mars to attack is because that felt to much like Starship Troopers. what about ...

the aliens are put together a team of the worlds best (fighters, spys, etc) and have brainwashed (or something to that effect) them causing them to become an unstoppable group of terrorsts. They are using the terrorists as puppets to travel around in history and steal vital artifacts that would allow the aliens to destroy earth. blah blah blah the feds have no idea and think that the terrorists are just, well, terrorists. years down the road they find out that the aliens have control of the terrorists and then it becomes a dual story. the feds have to go back in time w/ their new technology to stop the aliens from putting together this team of criminals and defeat the aliens in their path. the feds also have to fight off the terrorists and aliens in the present time hoping to buy enough time for their time travel team to stop this all from happening..

ehh, to complex eh? maybe ill just drop the idea all together.

Tyler Lockett
06-16-2005, 06:38 PM
hey man

well i definitley like the new pitch alot more. i like the idea of the time traveling aspect, and having to stop the aliens/terrorists when they formed WHILE battling them in teh present. I think one of your main challenges would be finding the artifacts/items in history that teh aliens need, and justifying that search. why would anything from our history enable them to build MOWD? unless its a mythical thing like raiders of the lost ark sorta deal.

could be cool to have 2 simultaneous battles goin on (one present/one past) and as peopel die in teh pastbattle...they automatically dissapear in teh present one. you can make a movie really complex with time travel. check out teh recent movie "primer" for a mindhump.

i think this concept has potential.... but you definitley have your work cut out for you...ambitious.

good luck

tyler

doobywho
06-16-2005, 07:25 PM
I agree about the work cut out for me bit. I think this is a little to complex for a short film and would be more of a feature length :(

lostlittleboy
06-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi guys!
I don't often look in on this part of cgtalk, but it seems to be a really nice place for ideas and discussion, rather than application troubleshooting! images/icons/icon12.gif

Being a cynic, my knee jerk reaction is that the story seems to translate into a series of set pieces, rather than a narrative. There are no end of stories that involve alien plots, the feds, a double cross and WOMD, so you've gotta ask what you think YOUR story will bring the table.

I'm so sorry if I sound like an arsehole, but my first reaction would be to leave the story as it is right now. DON'T abandon it though, it just seems to need some character focus or a moral/social point. At the moment its a great vehicle for a special effects style action film, which is fine and certainly something that film studios will always want, but is that what you are aiming for? There seems to be a lack of substance at the moment.

doobywho
06-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Well you're right - It does seem like a special f/x film, which is exactly what I want. I want to be able to explore and display my special f/x talents. I was thinking maybe the aliens will win in the present and then it leaves it up to the team of time travelers who are back in time trying to stop all this from happening. they finally go back to the right point in time, go to mars and defeat the aliens but when the come back the world is a completely different place. it turns out that the aliens had been controlling many more people than just the terrorists... but wait... the feds soon find out that there was something about the alien time travel device that they didn't know... there is a built in safe guard that prevents anyone from being killed in the past and changing the future... all effects reverse within 72hrs...

meh?

Manuel Ponce
06-22-2005, 06:40 PM
Well you're right - It does seem like a special f/x film, which is exactly what I want. I want to be able to explore and display my special f/x talents. I was thinking maybe the aliens will win in the present and then it leaves it up to the team of time travelers who are back in time trying to stop all this from happening. they finally go back to the right point in time, go to mars and defeat the aliens but when the come back the world is a completely different place. it turns out that the aliens had been controlling many more people than just the terrorists... but wait... the feds soon find out that there was something about the alien time travel device that they didn't know... there is a built in safe guard that prevents anyone from being killed in the past and changing the future... all effects reverse within 72hrs...

meh?

The ending part where this safe guard device is probably not going to work, but this is my opinion only, since you said the alien race was just too cleaver for the Ice Op and humans, would'nt the aliens know the humans will try something like this? why not have the aliens send their own Special opperations team to the past and battle with the Special Humans OP's and have a battle in the past with futuristic weapons. Although I did right a story similar to this about 20 years ago and signed The Comic Book Right "Only", to a small press comic book company at a comic book convention here in Chicago, the story was called "#6". (Number Six)

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2005, 06:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.