PDA

View Full Version : What Gray shade is zero? (Displacement and bump) in most render engines?

KBOC
06-14-2005, 06:48 PM
I simply cannot figure out what shade of gray is zero when it comes to displacement and bump mapping...

I've got several (C4D, Poser, Vue, D/S, PovRay, BMRT) and I simply do not get where zero is...

soulburn3d
06-14-2005, 07:06 PM
Every package is different, some are even different depending on which feature you're using inside the same app. Like for example, in max, a value of 50% grey is 0 if you're using material displacement, but if you're using the displace modifier you can change that value to anything you'd like. In general, I always make 50% grey 0, black fully in and white fully out when I paint, most 3d apps should give you enough control to then take that convention and then displace your object the way you expect.

- Neil

KBOC
06-14-2005, 07:39 PM
a lack of standard is kinda what I was affraid of... :( It means image maps aren't likely to cross platforms :( :( :(

soulburn3d
06-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Well, why not? Pretty much everywhere I've been black = in and white = out is standard, and every piece of 3d software I've used has some ability to make sure it follows that standard (although for a few you need to do a few simple tricks).

- Neil

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2005, 10:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.