PDA

View Full Version : Best Render FArm Option for Macs

gribble
06-14-2005, 11:26 AM
What is the best option for a Mac-based studio running Cinema 4D 9 with NetRender?

prixatw
06-14-2005, 11:53 AM
Lots of cheap PCs :twisted:

enygma
06-14-2005, 03:36 PM
Really depends on what platform the renderer runs best on. I don't have any experience with C4D rendering, but some options you could go with would be the Xserve cluster nodes. They are dual processor G5 systems running at 2.3GHz per processor and comes standard with 512MB memory starting at $2999 USD. The next options is taking a look in the Intel/AMD camp for comparative clustering solutions, possibly looking in the realm of Dell or even HP. I would try to take the opportunity to benchmark scene rendering performance on a Mac and PC to see which options might suit your needs best.

jscott
06-14-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm all for using Macs as workstations. I think the most cost effective solution is probably Some Boxx dual AMD Opteron systems.

Unless you are completely opposed to using non Mac systems. Then of course go with the Xserve rackmount systems or build a rack for some 2.7 Ghz G5 systems. Part of this decision is how much room you have.

I'd also research what plugins and such you need for your renderings. The new 64 bit Win version of Cinema4D renders on average 20% faster because it's optimized for the newer 64 bit processors. The down side is because it's new your plugins may not be compatable.

Again I love Macs I have a 15" powerbook right here, but when you are talking render farm it's more about compute power per dollar.

Definatly at least talk to Ed @ Boxx before you make a decision. Anyway that's my thoughts.

peace,

-jscott

Ed Caracappa
06-14-2005, 06:02 PM
I'd be happy to offer some advice on configurations regardless of where you decide to buy. Call me anytime, my direct line is in my sig.

Ed

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2005, 06:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.