PDA

View Full Version : Getting started with digital painting

C1imaX
06-14-2005, 02:38 AM
What materials do I require to get started on digital painting and how much should I invest into it?

Are there any tutorials that you may recommend for beginners?

Example of a digital painting: http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=241788 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=241788)

jmBoekestein
06-14-2005, 04:24 AM
I'm sure that if you use the search button you'll find heaps of interesting stuff here, if you include <2d> and <tutorials> you'll be set for months. As for apps: photoshop(any version probably :rolleyes: ), painter could work for you allthough it's one unpredictable package imo, but very cool features though, very tempting.

You should fork out some cash for some sort of graphics tablet and pen, or any other equivalent and get enough diskspace and RAM to play wildy, but 2disn't as intensive as 3d. So you can go with the cheaper RAM.

Hope this helps, and btw, traditional tutorials apply very well to digital. Painter is aimed at emulating what photoshop doesn't as far as digital is concerned. :)

C1imaX
06-16-2005, 05:21 AM
Thanks for you help :)

Nerd_Pack
06-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Know what I say? Just open paint and start going at it with your mouse :) Or bust out some paper and draw something and scan it, who cares? You can start digital art any way you want, just do something, anything and learn as much as you possibly can. Good luck!

PatternRecognition
06-18-2005, 12:32 AM
Grab a graphics tablet from a friend and download an old and free version of OpenCanvas (do a google search, it's no longer available on the official site me thinks) and start drawing. Don't use the stuff like smudge or blur or filters in photoshop (if you have it), if you skip something it'll always come to haunt you.

Don't think of digital art as some whole different type of art - you can always use traditional tutorials, because some of them are very comprehensive and far more indepth than the Photoshop stuff you can find.

But then again, that is just my own humble opinion! G'luck!

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2005, 12:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.