PDA

View Full Version : WIP: 5 String Bass

MadSkillzMan
06-14-2005, 12:27 AM
Ok guys, this is my first real effort towards 3D. Im more of a video guy, and beleive it or not i have no depth perception AND i have 20/400 vision...i think i did pretty good :)

Ill re-render with radiosity, caustics, and better shading for the final product..last test it was a 2 hour render on a Dual G5 1.8ghz 2.25gb ram. It looks much better then.

http://imagehost.biz/ims/pictes/326543.jpg

The only thing im not happpy with, is the strings. How can i make them more realistic?

Any comments?

Stain777
06-14-2005, 12:55 AM
Nice effort! I think you have some very nice lighting, and just a little surface work will really make it shine.

I'd add a bump map and some reflectance to the strings in order to make them look like wound wire.

It's not clear to me what the knobs are made of, but you might want to decide whether they're metal or plastic and try to "dial" them in.

The shadows are a little loose making the stings, knobs and other stuff float above the body of the guitar. I'd try reducing the size of the bias in the light>shadow dialog to tighten the shadow to the objects.

best of luck.

MadSkillzMan
06-14-2005, 01:28 AM
ok thank you!

The dials on the bass i was working off of are chrome...i just used oil tanks, i should probably add a fillet.

I was trying that with the strings, i think im going to have to make my own texture for that one.

The rest is all shaders that came with C4D (i think?)

i see what you mean about the floating knobs, ill fix that pronto.

thanks!

JIII
06-14-2005, 02:13 AM
nice, the way I get chrome is simple... turn all the colors to zero yes R G and B channels, and turn reflection up to 100%. It's crude but simple chrome.

MadSkillzMan
06-14-2005, 04:52 AM
actually i used a chrome shader from darkshaders.com Im looking to find a tutorial on programming your own, as i still retained some C++ and im interested to apply it to graphics.

Im going to try your crude chrome shading however, sounds like itd work. Sounds like how the chrome in brazil really works

MadSkillzMan
06-14-2005, 05:51 AM
ok, i fixed the shadows to an extent, and i think this chrome rules!

http://imagehost.biz/ims/pictes/326553.jpg

STILL fighting with the strings. I found a grate texture thats PERFECT, however, you cant even really see it! im tyring tiling, not having much luck.

EDIT: Looks like my input jack needs to be rotated to the right.

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2005, 05:51 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.