PDA

View Full Version : animating the eye

jornkk
02-18-2002, 12:44 AM
hello every body !

Ususally when I animate the eye's I just rotate them, but now I'm
creating a cartoon character and my eyes are not perfectly round.
How do you guys normally animate the eye ?

JacquesD
02-18-2002, 01:05 AM
I'm not that good in animation but what I would do is map a texture for the pupil and use a reference object to animate them.
That way, you don't have to rotate his eyes but only move the nulls which is going to move the map along the eyes surface.

jornkk
02-18-2002, 01:07 AM
good idea !
thanks a lot !

meloncully
02-18-2002, 01:18 AM
does lightwave have a look at constraint like max? because if it did, that would be easy.

________
meloncully

Rabid pitbull
02-18-2002, 02:06 AM
as for cartoon eyes i have seen it done with the eyeball as one object, and the pupil as another squashed sphere that is moved on the surface of the eyeball.

CIM
02-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Drive your eyes with IK. Parent the two IK goal Nulls to a master Null which will control both eyes. You then can scale the master Null to make the eyes cross or just move it around to move both eyes.

Chewey
02-18-2002, 10:32 PM
One way to do this is to make your cartoon eye using two layers in modeler. Make an 8x8 segment sphere in layer 1 (centered at 0,0,0) and copy it to layer 2. Layer 1 will be the basic eyeball(white) and layer 2 will be the pupil(black). So assign the spheres those colors accordingly. Next scale down the sphere in layer 2 to a size that looks appropriate for a pupil compared to the basic eyeball in layer 1. Now move the pupil sphere in layer 2 (using the top view) in -Z so that it's placed such that half of it peeks out from the geometry of layer 1. Make sure that the layer 2 pupil sphere is still centered on the x,z, plane. Next parent layer 2 to layer 1 using the layers panel. Set both layers on and turn subd's on(tab). Save the object and load into Layout. Use scale to squash layer 1 into an oval. Now select layer 2(the pupil and rotate it. It follows the curvature of layer 1. Now you understand the approach you can go back into modeler and flatten the layer 2 pupile sphere in the z plane and reposition it it bit to refine the look of the pupil. (Use a render subpatch level of around 6 or 7 for both eye layers when rendering)

Sorry for the long winded explanation but it's thankfully a lot simpler than this post is long.

Delucubus
02-19-2002, 09:57 AM
Here is a rig I have been thinking about lately and after reading your post I thought I would see if I could put it together.

How it works is you have your eye object with a 2 bone structure. Those bones are controlled by a goal, this goal won't be touched by us but it will be parented to another goal. This goal will be used for making eyes crossed and doing other things where that eye will move independant of the other. Then this goal is parented to another goal, this goal will be parented to both goals controlling both eyes. It will be used to make movements for both eyes.

I guess it might seem a little over doing it, but I found I had a great deal of control over all the movements that I would want to make. I think this same method could be used with irregular shaped eyse too (going to try it out). Here is a screen shot.

http://the3d.ws/artists/delucubus/eyesetup1.jpg

And a little avi I did in like a minute.

http://the3d.ws/artists/delucubus/eyefun.avi

Forgot to mention that you should make sure the main bone of the eye's origin is at the same as the eye (you could get some weird rotations if you didn't, might be fun to experiment with). And that this bone's controller's are all set to IK. And also make sure the second smaller bone is set to Full Time IK and it's goal is the first null in the sequence.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.