PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Tablet size

spmonahan
06-13-2005, 10:31 PM
Hi,

Currently I am looking to buy a Wacom tablet for use mostly with Illustrator and Photoshop. In Illustrator I mostly work with canvases of 8.5x11 or smaller. Photoshop is primarily used for photo-editing, though I'd like to get more into painting. I've never used a tablet before, but from everything I've read it seems like it's a good step forward in my progression as a digital artist.

I think I'm going to go with the Graphire3 tablet. There's a 4x5 version for $80 on newegg and a 6x8 version for $160. Personally, I'd like to save the space and the money and get the 4x5, but I wanted to get some feedback from people who have more experience with graphics tablets.

Does the extra area of the 6x8 version really make a big difference (put another way, is it worth twice the price)?

Thanks.

thedaemon
06-13-2005, 11:36 PM
Do not get a 4x5, you will cry.

drakonus47
06-13-2005, 11:47 PM
I use a 4x5 at work. that's when I started to switch over.
So I decided to get one for home. I got a 6x8 and have found it a
great boon to graphics. The only thing is sensitivity with the pen.
Once you get use to using it, it's great. never wnat to go back to
doing graphics with a mouse.

AdamantiumKnot
06-14-2005, 12:47 AM
I had a 6x8 and loved it. I'm probably going to get another or upgrade in size.

SpeccySteve
06-14-2005, 01:25 AM
All depends on how you like to draw, if you draw from the wrist chances are the A6 will do you, if you like to use big sweeping movements an A4 might be more your thing. A5 (6x8) is a nice medium for me, try and borrow a friends for a bit or check one out in a shop, see how you get on with it.

One thing I can say for certain is that a tablet of any size is waaay better than a mouse for Photoshop etc.
Check todays daily sketch thread "No Wacom" for an indication of how awkward regular tablet users find going back to a mouse..

AdamantiumKnot
06-14-2005, 03:36 AM
Whatever size you get, just know it scales to the size of the monitor. So the larger the tablet, the less it's scaled up on the screen.

windgod09
06-16-2005, 08:05 AM
if you're really serious with painting, 4x5 isn't really comfortable enough space to work on. which makes me regret settling for a 4x5 wacom instead of a 6x8 :sad:

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2005, 08:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.