PDA

View Full Version : Good Pens for Concept Art

Zaoldyeck
06-13-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody knew of good black pens to use with markers that don't bleed much? I've been going through some of the pens at my local art supplies store and the pens I have found so far are decent, but not good enough. They either bleed a lot when I go with a marker over them, or smudge around like crazy when I am drawing with them.

I know that Feng Zhu had a listing of materials he used, but since he upgraded his webpage I am unable to find it.

Does anyone know of good pens and where I might perchance order them online?(The shop would have to offer worldwide shipping since I am stuck on a rock in nowhere)

Thanks in advance.

Kwago
06-13-2005, 05:30 PM
I use the Bic, it has never failed me in times where i just need to draw
http://kwago.com/files/boredom-hands-all.jpg

DonaldKasper
06-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Heh. The picutre posted makes me want to do a poll about the LEFT or RIGHT handedness of the CGTalkers...

* VODAK NOTES: I am a lefite *

JByron
06-13-2005, 06:14 PM
I use Alvin Tech-Liner drawing pens. .1mm to .5mm Extremely precise. I've yet to find a better set! Here's some info, they sell em in 5-packs at my local Office Depot, but they are not with the other pens and markers, they usually keep them next to the large gridded boards, compasses, and other technical blue-printesque mumbo jumbo.

http://www.misterart.com/store/view.cfm?group_id=1148&store=001

Dave Black
06-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Feng and alot of those guys use Pilot Hi-Tech C pens, but they are not available in the United States. I've even called a Pilot rep and they said because of patent issues they can't sell 'em here. You can get them in some areas where there are asian importers, but it's slim pick'ns.

They claim the Pilot Precision line are the same thing, but they only offer them down to .5mm.

Just buy a bunch of different ones and see what you like. A pen is a pen to some degree. See if you can find a line that goes down below .5mm and you should be set. Or, just invest in a rapidograph set. More work, but definately a nice finished product.

-Dave

tatiana
06-13-2005, 06:40 PM
At work for me, it depends on the quality of line I need, the paper I'm working on, and how I'm gonna use the final drawing. Like, is it a quick rough during a creative meeting to capture ideas or a more tightly drawn illustration I'm spending hours developing that will be digitally colored for final production. That kind of stuff.

So, here's a short list of some of the pens we use:
- Faber Castell PITT artist pen (has a very nice thick and thin line that doesn't bleed on Parchment tracing paper and dries quick)
- Fountain Pentel (one of my co-workers told me that the comic book artists he knows are using this pen alot)
- Sakura Pigma Micron (I sometimes use this one when I'm needing specific line weights on Bristol or Vellum paper, but it does tend to dry slow)

I still use my 2H pencil mostly. :D

t

Ilikesoup
06-13-2005, 06:57 PM
I was wondering if anybody knew of good black pens to use with markers that don't bleed much?

"If you prick us, do we not bleed?

First of all, if you're using felt tip pens make sure they say "permanent" on the side. Also, make sure you allow enough time (at least 1 minute) for the ink to dry before coloring with markers.
Sharpies are good
Sakura's Pigma Microns are good
My favorites are Staedtler's Marsgraphic Pigment Liners

Ballpoints seldom run because they're oil based, but you won't get that solid jet black color.

Another option is to use waterproof (India or Black Magic) ink. You can apply it with a watercolor brush or a steel dip pen like a Crow Quill.

Lastly, try using a different kind of paper. First choice is Bristol paper/board. Second choice is drawing paper. Try to avoid using sketch paper for anything but pencil and ballpoint.

SpeccySteve
06-13-2005, 07:50 PM
My favorites are Staedtler's Marsgraphic Pigment Liners

Are those the grey ones with the really fine tips or am I thinking of something else?

Ilikesoup
06-13-2005, 07:58 PM
Yes. They're gray and come in 3 or 4 different tip sizes.

SpeccySteve
06-13-2005, 08:02 PM
Cool, those are my personal favourites too, I just didn't have one to hand to see what's written on the side, I only remembered the manufacturer..:)

-Steve

JM-Pestilence
02-24-2006, 09:45 PM
I almost created the same thread, but then i saw this one. So i just add my question to this thread:
A local dealer sells "copic" markers in different variations (search google for "copic"). I thought, i have heard about this markers, but i dont know if they are good. Have anyone of you done experience with copic markers?

reflectedfight
02-24-2006, 10:12 PM
From what I can remember from my brain - Pilot Hi tec pens do not bleed when you run a marker over em - pretty useful.

Difficult to find tho ---- try www.jetpens.com i think. They stock a lot of different colors too.

They ship everywhere i think.

Not used them myself - but looks an orite website

hope that helps

hzoppetti
02-24-2006, 10:25 PM
I have made several purchases from jetpens, and they are fabulous! I definately recommend them for all your out of country pen needs :thumbsup:

Matt_Forcum
02-25-2006, 07:55 PM
my favorite pen is the one that comes with the Wacom Tablet! :D

seriously though, its a great way to create concept art.

Zaoldyeck
02-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Woah, weird to see this thread resurrected.

Thanks for the jetpen link, I'm definitely gonna try them out next month(4 days and counting...).

Matt_Forcum: No denying that, it just feels so good to use a physical medium and to have a physical copy of your work that sometimes it's good to take a break from the Intuos. :)

kusoo
02-26-2006, 04:45 AM
I almost created the same thread, but then i saw this one. So i just add my question to this thread:
A local dealer sells "copic" markers in different variations (search google for "copic"). I thought, i have heard about this markers, but i dont know if they are good. Have anyone of you done experience with copic markers?

(here's an abbrieviated version of my reply, because my comp had just crashed-while i was typing this- like, within seconds. it was magical)

I've only tried copic, pantone-tira and prismacolor, so that's all that i can compare with.

copic:
-more expensive than other markers, one marker can cost you a good USD$5++, so get it when your local art store is having a sale :p
-only has ..312(?) colors
-i find it more blendable than pantone. I can layer a lot without having the ink saturating too fast.
- imo, get the copick sketch markers. the brush nib is very felxible for both large areas and thin lines.

as for the other two:
-pantone has hundreds of colors (~600+)
-pantone's nibs soften fast, which is bad if you don't like soft mushy nibs
-prismmacolr's the cheapest
-prismacolor has hard nibs, and i've heard that those last longer than panton nibs. i don't like hard nibs.
-i have no idea how well copic nibs can hold, but copic sells replacement nibs, and nibs of varying width. and you can get diff color refills and mix them to make your own color so you can have your own uber special marker.

basically, in picked copics because it suits my working method better. i'm slow, and i'm used to layering. And I'm a sucker for anything related to manga. iI suggest trying all the diffeent markers at your art store and practice for a day. then the next day return the ones that you don't like XD
After that you can stick with one type, because diff markers have diff body/ink/nib/holding angle (d'uh) so it'll behave differently. My teacher who uses pantone told me that he messed up in a demo once because he used copic for the first time.

I hope this reply proves useful and is not too late. kthxbyegdnite.

robo3687
02-26-2006, 08:40 AM
I've heard that the Prismacolor Cool Gray/Warm Gray/ French Gray(i think) sets are pretty good....they have 2 tip sizes on each and come in varying opacities from 10% to 100%....

I've been looking everywhere for them but I can't find anyone in Australia that sells them and I can't find any US places that will ship here economically....

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2006, 08:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.