PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with animating a dragon. Issue with the bones on its neck.

Terminus Est
10-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Okay well here I am. I may be new around these parts but I'm definately not new to Max. I have experience as a high intermediate user and the issue is that I havn't yet mastered Character Studio and bones though I'm getting there.

Okay now to explain my problem. After finishing modeling the dragon, I've built a skeleton and used Physique to assign the right vertices to each bone. Took me two or three hours to finished Physiquing. So I was now ready to animate. However when attempting animation, I ran into complications with the bones on the beast's neck. Below is a screenshot of how my work looks like.
http://forums.interestingnonetheless.com/uploaded/TerminusEst/Image1.gif

When I tried moving or rotating a neck or head bone such as the selected bone shown in the screenshot, the neck and head were supposed to move like a limb, but no! It turned out the opposite. The whole body moved instead!:annoyed: ( As shown in the pic below.

http://forums.interestingnonetheless.com/uploaded/TerminusEst/prob.gif

Like I said, I assigned the right vertices to each bone, so each limb should move independently. Please someone experienced with using bones to animate tell me how I can make the head and neck move as a limb because right now the neck bones treat the whole body as a limb. And this is a bad thing. Come on, there should be a quicker easier solution instead of remaking and re-Physiquing a new skeleton, which I don't want to do.

-wT-
10-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Damn it, made a rather long reply and "bling!" it's gone because of those "Server is too busy, please call back later" messages :hmm:

Oh well, so anyways.
The bone order is reversed in the neck area, meaning that when you move/rotate a bone in the neck, it moves/rotates it's child bones too (Ofcourse). But, as you've made the bones in reverse order, the child bones that move aren't the bones going towards the head, but the whole body.

So, you just need to reverse the order, and I'm afraid that you're propably going to do the verticle assigment again too :hmm: (I'm not 100% sure though!)

Terminus Est
10-17-2002, 07:41 PM
Well that sucks.:( How many areas of animating do you know anyway? If you're not 100% sure then maybe I'd like others to post their points here.

Terminus Est
10-17-2002, 08:00 PM
Well isn't there a way to assign child bones to a parent bone?

-wT-
10-17-2002, 08:02 PM
Well I haven't really done any serious animating at all in my life (:)), but I'm pretty sure that the bones are set up wrongly.

Let me explain. If you look at a single bone, you can see that it's big on the other end, and get's smaller towards the other. That's how you can see which way the bones are "flowing", and at the moment, the neck-bones clearly show that all of 'em are "flowing" towards the body and the body-bones.

But I don't use Max, so yeah, you'd better wait for someone other to tell you more about the bones in Max, before you go and throw away all the work like assigning the verticles and such.

Edit: Oh you made a new reply while I was writing this.
So, no I don't think that there would be an easy way to parent parent bones to child bones, but again I can't be sure. I'm a Maya-user, so it could be that there's a tool in Max which allows you to reverse the orientation of the bones.
Actually, it should be possible to reverse them manually, but this would be kinda tedious work, and you'd propably loose the vertex data and all... but just wait for someone who's using Max to reply. Atleast we know what's the problem :thumbsup:

Terminus Est
10-17-2002, 08:30 PM
Yeah I better wait for some experienced Max user and animator to show up in here to share his/her knowledge.

mo_pic
10-18-2002, 02:01 PM
Behave your self. :shame:

-wT- was trying to help you out and he’s absolutely right.
I would help you out but I’m not sure if I’m a “experienced Max user and animator”.

sasquatch
10-18-2002, 05:32 PM
It doesn't matter whether you're an experienced max user or not; those bones in the neck are backwards. I'd tell you how to fix it, but sadly, I'm an 'experienced maya user'.

Sorry.

sas

ilasolomon
10-22-2002, 10:06 AM
seems that was your first time of bone setup in max, it's ok, but there is no solution for your problem in max, you need to RE-Build entire skeleton now in reverse direction, remeber that in max bones draw from parent (base) to child (head) then the first bone you make is the HIP bone (balanced center), everybody do mistake in the first step of everything & you didn't waste your 3 hours indeed. just try again & as i know when we repeat an action (that we lost it) we do it better than the first time, i'm sure about that.
regards
ila

AnimBot
10-30-2002, 05:33 AM
seems that was your first time of bone setup in max, it's ok, but there is no solution for your problem in max, you need to RE-Build entire skeleton now in reverse direction, remeber that in max bones draw from parent (base) to child (head) then the first bone you make is the HIP bone (balanced center), everybody do mistake in the first step of everything & you didn't waste your 3 hours indeed. just try again & as i know when we repeat an action (that we lost it) we do it better than the first time, i'm sure about that.

ila_solomon hit the nail on the head with this one. In general you should always be prepared to start from scratch, sometimes that's just the way it goes. I can't count how many times I've had to dump animations and do them over. Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.