PDA

View Full Version : Giving digital paintings a traditional look!

StealthPharaoh
06-12-2005, 11:05 AM
I just noticed something but doesn't make much sense to me..why do some people try to give digital paintings a traditional look or a painterly feel..almost like trying to make it look like an oil or acrylic painting..i'm not saying it's bad..but i mean digital paintings have it's own look why try to make it look traditional..it doesn't make it any more valuable..it's a still a digital painting..
and isn't it actually much better and easier to do something traditionaly than doing it digitaly and trying to give it a traditional look...
for example like showing brushstokes..real brushes will do that much better than any digital tool..
i just think that digital paintings have it's own unique look and nothing wrong with that..it doesn't have to look tradional to make it a better painting..i mean it's not supposed to look traditional..it's supposed to look digital because it is a digital painting..lol
hope u people get my point..anyone does whatever he feels like of course but i just wanted to know ur opinion

Peddy
06-12-2005, 11:30 AM
in much the same way theres nothing wrong with a digital style, theres also nothing wrong with trying to make it look traditional. i know you are not saying that, but its still just a 'styling' applied to the art.

Kargokultti
06-12-2005, 11:31 AM
www.goodbrush.com (http://www.goodbrush.com/)

That's why.

And brushmarks are shown or not shown in any kind of image that's created by the act of painting. There are traditional pieces with everything smoothed out, and traditional pieces with brushmarks. Why should it be different with CG?

MatiasJ
06-12-2005, 03:57 PM
I think painterly is a misleading term of sorts being coined long ago with traditional medium, I mean you can have painterly oil, acrylic, watercolours etc. I personally love the painterly styles that are all out there. I also love the painterly digital paintings.
What I love about them is not that they are trying to looks likes oils or any kind of traditional medium, I love seeing the artist's hand in the work. Some times you see a stroke that conveys so much with so little is really exciting to see that skill on display. Thats what I love, being able to get an insight into how the artist works and try to learn something from them.

Cheers
Matias

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2005, 03:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.