PDA

View Full Version : Poser to Vue to Maya

lapdog
06-11-2005, 08:56 PM
This is just FYI.

Using Poser 6, exporting a Victor 3 model and clothing to Maya is problematic. A .3ds export results in missing polygons in the face (but otherwise a good export with textures). A .obj export comes into Maya perfectly but without texture mappings (its a long story).

So I had this bright idea. Import the Poser 6 model into Vue Infinite and export to .3ds or .obj, and import that into Maya. Well, the .3ds import is okay except the different Poser figures (model, dress, jewelry,etc) are at different locations, but textures are okay. The .obj from Vue imports without textures as expected (but looks good untextured).

Ok, using 3D DeepExplorer, read the .3ds from Vue, save as .3ds, and import into Maya. Success!

So to go from Poser 6 to Maya 6.5, we use Vue Infinite to read the Poser 6 .pz3 file, export the poser model from Vue as a .3ds file, read this using 3D DeepExplorer and save again to .3ds. Read the final .3ds file into Maya.

Some problems (iris textures missing), but if the model is used at a distance, no so bad.

Last, I like the fact that Vue can read native Poser files - this is a great feature when it works.

Wabe
06-13-2005, 01:49 PM
And that works? Normally most Poser objects imported into Vue are blocked from export - to avoid copyright issues.

The problem with Poser textures i find is mostly that Poser does not write full pathnames to the textures (and geometry). The names only start from "Runtime" on.

I haven't tried out, but maybe it is possible to edite the mtl-file from an obj export (from Poser) and correct those pathnames. Or use the Poser-to-Bryce plugin from DAZ. What that does is to collect all the textures into the same folder as the exported obj-file. So i understood that - haven't tried that out either, my import from Poser to Vue works perfectly.

ArtGuyJoe
06-13-2005, 03:55 PM
For Maya import of Poser scenes, why not use Body Studio (http://www.reiss-studio.com/trade/productview/10/3/)?

kennez
06-13-2005, 06:28 PM
I'd take a look at Trinity for Maya. It allows you to load the figures directly into Maya, and apply the morphs, etc. Even better still, it's free!
http://www.rendermagix.com/trinity/index.htm

lapdog
06-13-2005, 09:43 PM
No go on Trinity and Bodystudio.

Bodystudio works with Poser 5 and Maya 5.

Trinity works with Poser 5 and upto Maya 6.0. I looked at Trinity a year ago and found it tedious and flawed. It has not been updated since then. I realize that some people have gotten good results with it, but not me.

BTW, since Poser allows export directly from Poser, there should be no problem exporting a Poser model from Vue (in theory).

willbrown
06-13-2005, 09:49 PM
I copied all my runtime bitmaps for Poser figures into Vue"s Bitmaps folder within the Vue Application folder. I copied all directories to maintain the same directory structure as Poser's runtime folder.

Vue sorts this out pretty well, when I remember to copy any new updates after new Poser items are added to my Poser libraries.

I'm using Vue5 on a Macintosh G4.

brantag
06-14-2005, 02:39 AM
vue 5 infinite won't let "me" export a poser file.

FrozenSun
06-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Well for importing data into Maya from poser you can use Greebriar Studio's CR2 Loader.

It supports Poser 6, and also supports Maya 6 and 6.5. But the plugins are also available for Cinema 4D and Lightwave, but another thing is it imports the clothes (not dynamic) and textures as well.

As for Vue, if you have mover does it not load poser files correctly, even dynamic hair and cloth?

KBOC
06-19-2005, 04:15 PM
I haven't tried out, but maybe it is possible to edite the mtl-file from an obj export (from Poser) and correct those pathnames.

That should work. If it doesn't, it would be Vue's fault, not the OBJ MTL file's (assuming the path is correct).

lapdog
06-19-2005, 10:58 PM
I thought I had a winner with a Poser 6 export to obj/mtl for import to 3dsMax7.5, and then an export from 3dsMax to Maya using the latest Alias FBX plugins. The model looked great in 3DSMax and look fine in Maya 6.5.

However, there turned out to be intractable problems with the imported model in Maya. For one thing the FBX import was abnormally long, and for another the display of the textured model in Maya became abnormally slow. Worse, performing any operations on the model in Maya resulted in a runaway process that gobbled up system memory until there was none (I've never seen Maya do this).

The imported figure in 3DSMax looked great; however the import into Max would fail if any of the dynamic hair system (except follicle skullcap) was exported to obj/mtl. Also, do not export center of mass or center of mass gravity from Poser.

I spent a week trying to find a clean workaround so that I could save a few hours work needed if I just simply imported the Poser 6 obj/mtl imported directly into Maya. But in the end, thats exactly what I did.

I exported Poser 6 Jessie without dynamic hair or center of mass (but with follicle skullcap) to obj/mtl. I read this into Maya and assigned the textures manually. Maya reads the mtl file and creates the shaders but does not connect the shaders to the body parts. The process is a little tedious since you have to do the following.

1. Assign the body and head shaders. Swap out the low res bitmap for the high res bitmap (in this case I was using a custom skin map for Jessie).

2. Select the polygon faces (* see note below) for each finger and toe nails and map the hires finger and toe bitmaps to the transparency channel and increase value to say 6. Set color to black.

3. Select the polygon faces for top and bottom eyelashes and assign the hires bitmaps for each.

4. Assign eyeball hires textures

5. Select polygon faces for iris/pupil and map hires bitmaps.

When I was done, Jessie looked darn good, even without hair. So I spent a week looking for an elegant Poser 6 to Maya 6.5 export just to save two hours per model. I tried almost every thing including GestureMax, but did not try Shade 7.2 with its Poser Fusion system (don't have it). Also, did not try the Greenbriar studio product.

Right now I'm working through the process of using Maya hair system (with paint effects). This is where the follicle skullcap (which has a uv map) comes in handy.

*note: there is a tutorial somewhat that details the modification of the Jessie and James Poser 6 models so that eyelashes, fingers, toes, teeth, gums, eyes, etc are exported a seperate objects. If you were using James and Jessie more than once, then this is probably the way to go.

ArtGuyJoe
06-20-2005, 05:13 PM
I think BodyStudio should have a new release for Poser 6 and Maya soon. I subscribe to the newsletter because I used to use Poser 5 and 3DS MAX 4.

Here is what they say about 3DS and Cinema 4D:

"BodyStudio 2.6 for 3ds max released! Poser 6 characters now in 3ds max! BodyStudio 2.6 for 3ds max is here, and we've added support for the latest versions of both Poser and 3ds max. both Poser 5 and Poser 6 files can now be brought into 3ds max versions 4.2, 5.1, 6, 7, and 7.5!

Poser 6 support in Cinema 4D. BodyStudio 2.6 for Cinema 4D beta available to all Cinema 4D users! BodyStudio 2.6 for Cinema 4D is now available as a beta to all users of BodyStudio 2.5 for Cinema 4D. The beta is very stable, and brings both Poser 5 and Poser 6 files into Cinema 4D versions 7, 8, 8.5, 9, and 9.1!"

So I am thinking that Maya is just around the corner. :)

FrozenSun
06-21-2005, 01:52 AM
Well like i mentionned, Greenbriar's plugin already supports Poser 6, however it does not yet support dynamic hair. But then you can easily create hair inside of Maya.

ionisys
10-13-2005, 10:35 PM
use gesture max for max3d
import your poser figure without textures and with skeleton
export fbx
load it into maya 7 because you don't have the textures and material exported
the fbx plugin from maya 7 doesn't take that long to load

now export your poser figure in poser as an obj. file set all paramaters of your skeleton to zero before you export the poser figure

import it into maya 7 paste your poser figure onto the fbx skeleton delete the mesh from fbx file
now you have the exact model with skeleton and materials in maya
maya 7 loads the textures if you add them
now the only thing you have to do is the skinning
and in maya 7 it's childsplay ;)

CGTalk Moderation
10-13-2005, 10:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.