PDA

View Full Version : AE vs combustion for motion graphics

shadewind
06-11-2005, 06:21 PM
Hi!

I'm wondering which app you prefer when doing motion graphics. Do you use AE or combustion? When i tried combustion i didn't like it very much and i felt hard to do things that should be really simple. What's your opinion?

-Vormav-
06-11-2005, 06:32 PM
With Combustion, it's really just a matter of getting used to the layout. I'm actually finding the interface to be much faster for me than AE now that I know where everything is, and have figured out how to navigate through the crazy UI.
That being said, I don't find too many differences between them when doing simple motion graphics work. AE has a few more effects - liquify, for example - but I try to limit my use of fancy filters anyway. AE does have one deciding factor though, depending on what I'm doing: Flash output!
...but yeah...in most cases, I prefer Combustion. It just takes some getting used to.

shadewind
06-12-2005, 10:29 AM
Okay. Because I've heard a lot of people who agrees that After Effects is better for motion graphics as combustion lacks for example AE's text animators and such things. I haven't used combustion much though.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
06-13-2005, 04:23 AM
AE does have one deciding factor though, depending on what I'm doing: Flash output!

Flash output has been available in Combustion through the paint operator since Combustion 3 *Points to the Flash Mode button.* The only thing that I can really think AE has over C* is the text effects, however these could easily be built in C4 using the new capsule feature. My suggestion would be download the demos of both, attempt the same project, and see which works better for you. IMHO I could easily be a happy man to never use AE again. I strongly dislike all of Adobe's video products, their workflow and layout is just horrible. One feature that makes combustion my choice is a working schematic view where you can change/reorder things on the fly easily.

-Eric

shadewind
06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
What is capsules then? Isn't that just some effect preset feature? AE's text effects relies on more than just saving animations.

PiXeL_MoNKeY
06-13-2005, 03:46 PM
What is capsules then? Isn't that just some effect preset feature? AE's text effects relies on more than just saving animations.
Not according to Adobe (http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/type_effects.html): "Whether you use them to create finished work or simply as the starting point for a new design, the new text animation presets in Adobe® After Effects® 6.5 save you time and give you sophisticated creative options when you animate text. With more than 250 predesigned animation presets available, organized into the 15 categories below, you can quickly experiment with a wide variety of options. If a preset isn't quite right for your project, you can easily modify its keyframes and other parameters. You can also save text animations you create from scratch as animation presets that you can easily reuse."

All the AE text effects are is preset animations. This could be done in Combustion using Expressions (to handle some of the animation) and creating your own Capsule (for the preset part). The nice thing with Capsules is that you can save them out to disk.

-Eric

CarlosMac
06-13-2005, 03:59 PM
i quite like combustion3.

Is the same output tiff sequences and quicktime without comresion (none )??

do i lose quality ??

is for digital betacam

PiXeL_MoNKeY
06-13-2005, 04:52 PM
Is the same output tiff sequences and quicktime without comresion (none )?? do i lose quality ??
Both of these approaches should be lossless. Quicktime None will have no compression while Tiff/TGA/PNG use lossless compression schemes, ie you shouldnt lose quality compressing with them.

-Eric

-Vormav-
06-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Flash output has been available in Combustion through the paint operator since Combustion 3 *Points to the Flash Mode button.*

Heh. Wish I had noticed that earlier. I had always must sort of assumed that since swf wasn't an output option from the render dialogue, you couldn't do it.
Something new every day. :)

shadewind
06-14-2005, 12:33 PM
AE's text animation features is based on Animators and selectors which is something combustion doesn't have AFAIK. Selectors lets you select what characters you apply an property to and you can animate the selectors to affect different characters over time. You can for example make the characters slide in one by one by applying a position attribute moving the characters out of the screen and then making the selector affect 'em all from the beginning and none of them when they should be on the screen.

cupidelarocha
06-20-2005, 02:34 AM
I am trying to use combustion, but i have several question,

Can i have multiple cam in C*??
I want to make a 3d particle like Trapcode Particular in AE, can I install Particular in C* ?

Thanks...

sorry for my english

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2005, 02:34 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.