PDA

View Full Version : My 2 cents with censorship - Zahra Kazemi

LouisCho
06-10-2005, 07:56 PM
I just hear of that story in Montreal.

After complaints they removes 5 pictures of the exhibition because they shown palestinians.

It's disgusting and it's a insult to Zahra Kazemi's memory.
http://www.indexonline.org/en/indexindex/articles/2005/2/canada-library-removes-kazemi-photos-after-c.shtml

Louis

plastic
06-10-2005, 08:13 PM
how is that different from pictures getting removed from cgtalk because they show jesus or a too naked female. ;)
censorship is everywhere and unavoideable.
most seem to consider it a good thing, especially here on cgtalk. because removing subjects of controversity is an easy way to avoid open conflict.
personally i prefer freedom of speech to being forcefully sheltered.

stepington
06-10-2005, 08:41 PM
It's not much different to the red scare in the US several decades ago. Lots of names on the "black list."

But these sound more like the actions of those who are afraid - rather than angry.

ashakarc
06-10-2005, 09:46 PM
Some people choose to kill the messenger, while others choose to censor, just a difference in the means, but the intentions are the same.

kmest
06-11-2005, 08:42 AM
well it's more of the politics....i konw many things about it cause it happend right behind my ears here in tehran.....that was so sad

ThirdEye
06-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Where is this thread going according to you all? If you want 100% free speech and no rules try being a moderator and having to pay attention to thousands of posts every single day making sure the quality cgtalk.com offers stays and making sure there are no flames, wars and stupid senseless debates. There are just a bunch of dedicated people that offer their time for free to this website hoping this place keeps being the best forum there is and trying to do a good job: at least try to understand why things go this way.

XLNT-3d
06-11-2005, 09:37 PM
making sure there are no flames, wars and stupid senseless debates.

I remember when the flaming was a big thing around here a year or two ago. Somebody would see some stolen art or some other punishable action and the lench mob would be in full force :eek:

jmBoekestein
06-12-2005, 12:44 AM
I think it could be important to dsicuss the motives to these actions though. Especially nowadays. I'm all for moderation actually. But if the wrong thing is taken away, you end up with a broken picture of the world.

This thread doesn't need to go sour does it? I'm thinking it could be a good learning experience considering the globalisation of many things and also values because of that. :shrug: .

stepington
06-12-2005, 01:22 AM
If you want 100% free speech and no rules try being a moderator and having to pay attention to thousands of posts every single day making sure the quality cgtalk.com offers stays and making sure there are no flames, wars and stupid senseless debates.

I quite agree. I'm not for that sort of anarchy. However, I definately believe in two sides to every story. I'd be interested to see all parties of any war presented as human beings. Not one where one side is righteous and the other is simplified down to be a monster that under no circumstances is to be open to how they feel - or visa versa.

Having said that, I feel it is VERY important to point out that I would never condone content that glorifies sensless hate, or something that is aimed specifically at damaging another person's global right to a sense of self or safety. It is possible, I believe, to achieve peace only through a thorough understanding of all sides of any fence.

I love to see art that challenges a viewer to think. Not propaganda or senselessness.

I think the collaborative efforts of moderators from all over the globe have done an outstanding job with content standards in CGtalk and I'm in awe of what has been created here - - - it feels safe, open, and there is a VERY strong encouragement for individual growth. Both artisticly and cross culturally. CG talk has truely evolved into an oasis of education in my post graduate world.:bowdown:

ThirdEye
06-12-2005, 09:30 AM
The problem here is this is a CG forum, CG i say. I'm the first one that admits that everything one does is POLITICAL, because that's what it is, politics is what makes the world go ahead (or backwards, depending on your point of view) and decides WHERE the world goes. But since everything is a political action we can't spend hours on every single thing that comes into people's mind, we prefer talking and discussing about COMPUTER GRAPHICS. Some partially OT discussions are allowed, the general discussions forum allows them but they usually have a relationship with CG and they're focused on keeping this forum as a way to keep people in touch, even behind LCD and CRT screens.

Example of a partially OT subject: "what do you think about the latest Batman?"

Example of a totally OT and not allowed subject: "dammit why did they choose this bigot as the new pope, the Church keeps living in the middle age"

Kargokultti
06-12-2005, 10:21 AM
That's what they get when they name a forum "Art Discussion".

And I think this is quite discussable, just as long as CGtalk gallery guidelines are kept out. And Middle Eastern politics. And religion. Oh well...

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2005, 10:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.