PDA

View Full Version : Dual Core renderfarm the best value?

tvc15
06-10-2005, 07:25 PM
I use 3dsMax and Vray for architectural renderings and have money for a render farm.
I've been looking at the 1U BladeRaier Opterons on www.xicomputer.com.
Using their online calculator I could afford to get three Dual processor 248 Opteron machines with 2Gb ram for $8,673 (2,891 each) OR two Dual Core 270 Operton machines with 4Gb ram for $8,942 ($4471 each). The former would provide a total of 13.2Ghz of power while the later would give 16Ghz. Did I do the math right? The Dual Core seems to be the better value which is surprising for chips that are brand spanking new! Should I order the Dual Core machines or am I missing something here?

Srek
06-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Currently the CPUs are brand new. Personaly i would wait a few months until the first quirks have shown up and have been smoothed out.
Cheers
Björn

BillB
06-10-2005, 08:58 PM
I use 3dsMax and Vray for architectural renderings and have money for a render farm.
I've been looking at the 1U BladeRaier Opterons on www.xicomputer.com (http://www.xicomputer.com).
Using their online calculator I could afford to get three Dual processor 248 Opteron machines with 2Gb ram for $8,673 (2,891 each) OR two Dual Core 270 Operton machines with 4Gb ram for $8,942 ($4471 each). The former would provide a total of 13.2Ghz of power while the later would give 16Ghz. Did I do the math right? The Dual Core seems to be the better value which is surprising for chips that are brand spanking new! Should I order the Dual Core machines or am I missing something here?
That's a bit of a brain bender for first thing on a saturday morning, but I'd probably say the later (assuming your maths is right), just because of the extra ram. That would let you run two nodes on each cpu, getting best use out of them. On the other hand, could the 248 cpu's be later replaced with Dual cores as a tasty upgrade?

Basically, dual cores should perform much the same as dual CPU, if that helps your thinking.

Kdeezy
06-10-2005, 11:28 PM
i say u get the dual cores..... cause ur basically getting 8 effective cpus seeing how there are 2 cores in each actual dual core proc definetly worth it.

SoLiTuDe
06-10-2005, 11:48 PM
dual core all the way -- much better value. They won't be exactly like two separate processors in reality, though they two of them will outperform three separate opterons. along with the extra ram it'll kick ass. I currently have one opteron 248, and am saving the money for two dual core processors as well will a total of 4gigs of ram when I buy. ... i may buy a new moboard by then too because this one is still agp, though you'd think a quadro fx 1100 would still be kick ass, i think by the time i can buy anything, i'll prob just want to replace everything! (including the video card because i'll need to get pci express with the new moboard)

CGTalk Moderation
06-10-2005, 11:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.