PDA

View Full Version : Rotation Axis

Tiziano
06-10-2005, 07:01 PM
I have four cubes that are grouped into a null. I want to be able to rotate them as a group (hence the null) around a central point. At present it seems to be rotating around one of the cubes. Anyone know how to change the rotation point?

I looked in the manual but can't seem to find it under either rotation or axis. Maybe it's under a different word?

JamesMK
06-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Switch to the axis tool and move the group null to wherever you want the rotation pivot to be.

edfenner
06-10-2005, 09:36 PM
I would recommend using axis center to make sure you really hit the center point for all of them.

ed

Tiziano
06-12-2005, 03:06 PM
OK, consider this the dumb question of the day...
Can't find 'Axis Center' or 'Center' in the help index. So, where is it? I'm on a Mac using 9XL.

AdamT
06-12-2005, 03:53 PM
It's a free plugin that should be on your goodies CD. However, it won't center the axis of a group.

There's another free plugin called "Center Group Axis", which does about what you'd expect. :)

OTOH, if all of your objects have their axes centered and you group them with the "Group" command, the group null will be centered automatically.

Tiziano
06-12-2005, 04:32 PM
Perfect!
Thanks Adam.
I seem to overlook the plugins all the time, not to mention the control key.

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2005, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.