View Full Version : city, street, building. (Matrix /Gotham city/ blade/ street scene for coursework)
06-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Hello everyone, need a bit of help. does anyone know how to create realistic buildings and scenes for very realistic animation. Need all the help i can get from modelling to texturing it. pls help. Need someone. thanks
06-15-2005, 05:06 PM
mmm cannot remember where in the internet is the link, but look for the greeble plugin tutorial regarding just that subject. It can do wonders!
06-15-2005, 05:16 PM
That is the link for the tut. I hope it helps!
06-21-2005, 01:29 AM
You can create buildings really quickly (towers anyway) using splines and polys.
1. Create a rectangle, convert to editable spline then select the segments and devide by say twenty then extrude using 3 segments. Convert to editable poly, select the middle 2 horizontal set of edges to create the right height for your windows.
2. Then select the polys that you want to be windows (in this case I've picked every second one) then extrude, bevel, inset; whatever, play around, use your imagination.
3. Now assign those polys a material id, select invert and assign the other polys a different id.
4. Now create a multi sub object material with one material for your solid and another for your glass. Assign material to your model.
5. You've just created a floor of a tower block. Now all you need to do is instance copy the floor up the z however many times you like.
This works with any shape you like and you can create unlimited number of styles simply by using 2 material id's and 3 segments. You can really go to town (literally).
The very simple attached scene took me 5 minutes, if not less.
Now if you really want it to look good you need to get proper glass materials and lighting. If you don't have a plug-in like vray or brazil you can use a dome skylight script such as:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/r.j.o/skyraider/e-light_settings.htm or any found at script spot.com
Or you could just uses Max's painfully slow advance lighting.
Hope that helps you in some way.
06-21-2005, 11:14 PM
Heh I spent hours building a city the way you said Numloch... Im lovin' that plug-in I know this is not my thread but Thanks alot heh never had so much fun building buildings.
06-24-2005, 12:55 PM
thanks for you help guys
06-24-2005, 01:06 PM
I also need information on how to texture a building good, with the least amount of texture skills, for the same gotham city project. it would also be nice if you could give advice on how to create a ealistic sky scrapper, building cathedral. something to make the city look good
06-24-2005, 02:38 PM
mmm you should then check the several tutorials at 3dtotal.com
They have some very good tutorials there for different skill levels.
06-24-2005, 02:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
vBulletin v3.0.5, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.