PDA

View Full Version : IEEE or ACM membership?

Kuroyume0161
06-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Which do you think would be the best for literature related to CG and related mathematics? I've heard conflicting opinions/experiences, but it is obvious that the best source for vast quantities of research and technical information like this is not mainly in the books (unless you have access to a University library - I donot).

Comments and alternatives welcomed! :)

Thanks much,

playmesumch00ns
06-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Citeseer is a good place to go. And it's free!

Out of the two I'd take ACM. It's unusual that I can't find a paper either on citeseer or on acm

mummey
06-10-2005, 07:06 PM
Free: http://scholar.google.com

I am an ACM member, and I appreciate it the majority of time I search for a research paper.

-b

Kuroyume0161
06-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Citeseer is a good place to go. And it's free!

Out of the two I'd take ACM. It's unusual that I can't find a paper either on citeseer or on acm

I've Googled over to Citeseer in the past. Does Citeseer allow access to the full literature? This is in what I'm mainly interested - for development purposes. Citations and bibs are okay for continuing research, but at some stage, I need access to the actual papers for details. :)

ETA: Okay, I see that they give URLs for documents. Will have to see what kind of documentation is available in the database. I really need the type of literature that the professional software developers (of like Cinema 4D) are using.

Seems that ACM, for computer science/development, may be the way to go. I've read so many different opinions that my head is spinning. IEEE is good practically but more general and technically oriented (hardware, engineering (obviously), industry). ACM is more esoteric but good for computer science.

Still contemplating...

Thanks for the responses so far!

nurcc
06-11-2005, 05:41 AM
Well, SIGGRAPH and TOG are under ACM, which is where I find most of the most useful stuff. I guess it depends on what subfields you're interested in. I don't see as much CAD/CAM stuff in SIGGRAPH lately, or medical imaging. Still, most of the stuff you're looking for is probably in ACM's digital library.

Kuroyume0161
06-11-2005, 05:52 AM
Concerning Citeseer, I guess you get what you pay for. :)

Yes, SIGGRAPH is under ACM and that was definitely a determinant. I have gone ahead and registered a Professional+Portal membership. My main interest is in 3D CG, so lack of CAD/CAM shouldn't be missed.

Thanks,

playmesumch00ns
06-13-2005, 09:43 AM
I find I can usually find most of what I want on citeseer. If not then 99% of the time it'll be on the acm.

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2005, 09:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.