PDA

View Full Version : 2 new lighting tuts...

ilasolomon
10-16-2002, 11:40 PM
doroud friends

i'v just put 2 new tut in my page, one for basic lighting tips:
http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/tutorials/tut_lighting/05.jpg

& one for a little more advanced lighting (indirect sim):
http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/tutorials/tut_adv_light/advanced_lighting_semiGI.jpg

this is the LINK (http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Tutorials.htm) to the pages.
hope you find them useful.
cheers
ila

rollmops
10-17-2002, 12:07 PM
:bounce:
Thanx Ila!

blc318
10-17-2002, 09:34 PM
very nice work. I love setting up lights and you have offered some interesting insight into it.

ilasolomon
10-17-2002, 11:13 PM
hey thanx fellas, u r welcome! :)

Troub
10-18-2002, 09:30 AM
Thx Ila for those tuts
really well done

but could you plz give me a short walkthrough in creating those lovely mats which look like kinda plasticine, too.
that would be really nice, they look awesome.
thx in advance

ilasolomon
10-18-2002, 09:48 AM
dear Troub, there is no special thing for the mats, they
are just default max mat with some colors, (i didn't change a
thing, even spec. & shininess, nor use any maps...or self illumination)
the tip is i used a niose modifier on the meshes! ;)
good luck

ilasolomon
10-19-2002, 11:31 PM
hi
i'v just add another tut for Dome-Light (semi skylight)

http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Tutorials/tut_domelight/05_composite.jpg

link:

http://www.topleftpixel.com/ila_solomon/Tutorials/tut_dome_light_01.htm

michaelb
10-26-2002, 03:31 AM
Hi Ila,
I just had to say how much I liked all of your lighting tutorials, especially the indirect interior light simulation. I myself use LightWave, but your pictures and directions are clear and easy to follow, so I know I can use them in LW without a problem. Although the VRay render is nice, I think you've captured a better feeling of the brightness of actual sunlight in the renders where you did the lighting "by hand." I think your "artist's eye" can see how the picture should look, rather than having the program making all the decisions for you. I've been leaning heavily in that direction myself, so your tutorial was very welcome. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your sharing it with us.

Best regards,
Michael A. Barnes

ilasolomon
10-26-2002, 04:34 AM
hello Michael
i want to thank you for your kindness too, i wouldn't learn so much if i didn't meet talented people, specialy in internet, & i believe that sharing the knowledge is the best way for improving my skills. i'm sure you will do it better & share your tricks with us.
(one of my sources for learning lighting like that was Aman Akram's lighting tutorials with LW, amazing, no?!) :)
best wishes
ila

Lunatique
10-27-2002, 08:59 AM
Thank you so much! Selfless, generous, kind people like you is what makes the internet community a better place than real life.

ilasolomon
10-27-2002, 12:31 PM
Lunatique, feedbacks like this always force me to work 2 times as usual!
:thumbsup:
ila

Ian Jones
10-27-2002, 01:47 PM
Great tutes! Thx for the effort. I like the results of your fake GI tute. The process and seperation of the different sources is very clear and simple to understand.

Hi Lunatique! Didn't know you visited these parts aswell. :)

prashantuma
10-31-2002, 03:07 AM
Thanx for the tuts man....I always had a problem with lighting....Thanx for clearing it up. Good stuff mate.

Shan Uma

ilasolomon
10-31-2002, 06:47 AM
thank you very much friends, you are welcome
& i have good news, Amaan Akram (homepage) (http://warpedspace.org) is preparing a fresh new lighting tutorial. :)

Antilles
11-01-2002, 06:12 AM
Im almost afraid to ask, but what version of max did you use for the fake GI scene with the two guys? If it's 5, I'm wondering if MAX 4.0 supports that negative omni light you used behind the guy..... I think that would be mighty useful in one of my scenes....

Awesome tutorial BTW, you rock.

ilasolomon
11-01-2002, 06:39 AM
it was max5 but i didn't use any special new feature of max 5 light & renderer, actualy you can do that method with max version 1 or any other 3d app like LW, Maya, Cine4D or Softimage
(i think negative value for light is available in every app)
ila

Antilles
11-01-2002, 10:07 PM
cool, thanks, we learn something new everyday!

/me runs off to suck up lights.:thumbsup:

Pickman
11-08-2002, 01:40 PM
Thx for sharing, really gave me some good hints on how to light an object . Really dig your modeling style as well.

ilasolomon
11-09-2002, 11:58 PM
Thank you friends,
You can also find some very good lighting lessons here in Amaan Akram's website:
http://warpedspace.org

Virtuoso
11-10-2002, 02:09 AM
Excellent tips Ila,really useful. You are sure a great help to all..............Viva to you Ila...........:beer: :thumbsup: :applause: :beer:

ilasolomon
11-10-2002, 07:11 AM
Hi Virtu, Glad to see you as a TXS winner :) :beer: :thumbsup:
I think you should finish your website. :buttrock:
Regards
Ila

levin
11-12-2002, 07:16 AM
thanks ila... you just made my lighting better by a mile:applause:

digitalBIZ
11-13-2002, 07:50 PM
hi ila.
thanx for your TUTORIALS and link.

digitalBIZ.

ilasolomon
11-13-2002, 10:09 PM
Virtuoso, Thank you man. Well, I'm going to join in 4 challenges!! ;)
levin, You are welcome. :)
digitalBIZ, Thanx kambiz, be ghol e khodemon, "Mokhlesim!"
(Irananimation chetor pish mire?)
Best Regards
Ila

Peoples
12-16-2002, 04:16 PM
Thanks alot for your amazing tutes!! I haven't really concentrated on lightning techniques on my 1 year 3D hobbycareer - I've just let the GI do the (loooooong) work but now I definetly will try to improve these skills. Thanks again and keep it up!:applause: :buttrock: :beer:

ilasolomon
12-16-2002, 05:18 PM
I'm glad you like it, Peoples, thanx for your feedback! :)
Ila

playmesumch00ns
12-17-2002, 09:21 AM
nice one ila, good method. btw I love your new avatar

MayaV
01-03-2003, 01:51 PM
hey ila

thanx for the gr8 tuts but the basic source files are missing from the light tut. thanx a gig :)

regards

Vivek

ilasolomon
01-03-2003, 04:33 PM
Hi MayaV & playmesumch00ns, Thanx a lot friends
em, I just checkd it out, they are still there. maybe that was a server error
Regards
Ila

MayaV
01-03-2003, 07:27 PM
hi ila

i just checked the tutorial and download page but i did't find the basic scene setup file to be downloaded can you please guide me to the link, that will be much appreciated :)

thanx & regards

Vivek

ilasolomon
01-03-2003, 08:45 PM
sorry but i didn't get it, in TUT pages there is no file for downloading, emmm...maybe i made a mistake in text. would you explain to me little more ?
thanx pal

Ila

01-04-2003, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by ila_solomon
sorry but i didn't get it, in TUT pages there is no file for downloading, emmm...maybe i made a mistake in text. would you explain to me little more ?
thanx pal

Ila

How does your fake GI (Dome Light) technique compare in speed with Max5's SkyLight? Does it render faster/slower? I'm too lazy to test :-)

MayaV
01-04-2003, 04:46 AM
hi Ila

i will need the basic scene file to do your lighting tutorial so from where i will be able to download that, coz i checked out there is no link for downloading the basic scene file of the tutorial.

thanx & regards

Vivek

ilasolomon
01-04-2003, 07:42 AM
oh sorry MayaV, there is no scene for download. you have to do that tut with one of your scenes. ;) or d/l a pre-made mesh from internet.

201 yes, faster, even it's faster than VRay skylight render (that you know is the fastet GI renderer for max) but it has it's weakness, like it can't cover the entire scene.

jeb
01-08-2003, 03:28 AM
you can fake the total scene illumination(infinite background) using a matte shadow material on the ground plane, and setting the background to white(or any color)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.