PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Chiu's Vancouver Skytrain Sketch Group 2005

alex_m1s1n_user
06-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Bobby Chiu's Vancouver Subway Sketch Group 2005

Bobby Chiu's Vancouver BC Subway (Seabus) Sketch Group 2005

MEETING LOCATION: Seabus station in Lonsdale Quay.
MEETING DAY: Sundays, 04:00 PM - 04:30 PM
CONTACT PERSON:: Alex lyosha85 'at' gmail.com 604 671 5697
MEETING NOTES: The meeting will continue from June 19th onwards.

Other information: Although we dont have a subway, i'm going to broaden it to public transportation. I think Lonsdale Quay would be nice place to do it since its just half an hour from bunaby and park royal in west van. And GREAT thanks to dbluewolf for creating a great post for Kuala Lumpur outlining fine details and sounding great overall...which i ended up hijacking :P and modifying it into this one, cuz i had no idea how to go abouts in making one.

Dont worry if your drawing isnt great, everyone started somewhere so lets just get together so that we can improve.

For the sketch group i got some web space and I would like to ask you all to suggest a domain name for it.

And ya, pls suggest suitable timing and location too. And I will keep the news posted here and also in the upcoming website.

DISCLAIMER: The creator of this thread, CgNetworks And CGTALK is not responsible on what happen on these meetings. The persons are meeting under their own accord and their actions are their own. The parties mentioned before are not responsible in no way shape or form for their actions and thus are not liable.

FAQ

- How will we'll be Pubishing it?
Ans: At the end of every session, i'll be taking photographs sketches you want to be published, and i'll post them on our webspace every week. By the end of every month, we'll vote for the best sketches and i'll create a special page for 12 best sketches of the year, and honorible mantions.

- meeting date/time, is it on: 19th June Sunday, at the Lonsdale Quay in north van?
Ans: Yes. Please suguest where exactly do you want to meet, because we can meet at a starbucks where there are always seats and people comming and going, or a subway resturant to confirm to the name better :P

- how many people are coming to the meeting?
Ans: Not sure yet

- what do u need (us to bring) to the meeting?
Ans: sketches, sketches, and materials to sketch. We are not asking for portfolios, we are not employers. Just bring your sketch book where we can see what you have done last week or like that while you were waiting for the public tranport or for a friend or what so ever.

- Is the session only for half an hour?
Ans: No no. it will be the buffering time, to decide on where are we going to sketch and wait for people to arrivve.

- So how the meeting will be like?
Ans: Ok, for now, the idea is like this, (which is of course not fixed) : we bring our sketch book, show it to others, and others give suggestions on how to improve.

Now, we need to post this also right? So, it would be great if you could scan it and bring it in a cd or sthing. But in case you cant, we can scan for u, but you need to give us that page for that day which we will give you back next week. We will compile it like the bobby chiu's drawing, and post it up under everyones name like the daily sketch group winners =D

Best sketches? Prizes?
- So far, we are thinking every month we will vote and make the best sketch page as page of the month and one as level winner who shows most improvement. But then again, we will decide it in the meeting and lesse what everyone thinks.

digital-bobert
06-09-2005, 03:23 PM
alex_m1s1n_user - I look forward to seeing all the sketches

To get this started a bit, if anyone would like pointers on how I sketch, you can PM me and I'll check out your "Sketch Group Thread" and make comments or even redraw a few drawings for you if you request it.

Would that be something people might be interested in?

Kei-Acedera
06-21-2005, 03:05 PM
Alright Vancouver! There's alot of great art schools there. can't wait to see some sketches :)

digital-bobert
06-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi Alex,

How did last Sunday go? Have you guys started yet? :)

chi
06-22-2005, 06:23 PM
well im gonna try out the edmonton group tomorrow, and who knows i may join this group once i get to vancouver...only 21 days to go.

alex_m1s1n_user
06-28-2005, 12:11 AM
Here are the group's sketches from last 2 weeks. Good job me :P.

http://s93913902.onlinehome.us/VancouverSketchGroup/June_19/

http://s93913902.onlinehome.us/VancouverSketchGroup/June_26/

LucentDreams
06-28-2005, 09:13 PM
well I'm in, so next session is the 3rd? I'll bb bringing my better half too, we've been doing some sketching at the Jazz festival too.

colleen
07-06-2005, 05:30 PM
I'll totally tag along when I'm back in town! Sounds fun!

LucentDreams
07-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Hey Colleen

Sorry we didn't make it alex, I was doing a modeling test all weekend. I'm all game for next weekend.

alex_m1s1n_user
07-18-2005, 06:25 AM
Sorry i coudnt attend this session because i got finalls comming up, and papers due.

hjalmar
07-26-2005, 10:37 PM
id like to come out, but i never have the time:(

digital-bobert
09-03-2005, 10:39 PM
Hello beautiful Vancouver!

How are things out there on the west coast? The last time I stopped by Vancouver, it completed amazed me how vibrant the colors seemed to be out west. (Actually, I've had that thought every time I'm out on the coast, haha.)

Hopefully, you guys will find time to continue to draw despite school and whatever! I'm looking forward to seeing your work if you post anything!

Cheers,
Bobby.

LucentDreams
09-04-2005, 12:09 AM
I'm gone for now, in portland for a month working, when I get back I"ll see if we can get it rolling again, no excuse really so many schools like VFS, Van Arts, CDIS all in the burnaby downtonw area, and so many studios, no reason we shouldn't have a large greoup going. Chi form the edmonton group is out here so I know he'll sign up too.

digital-bobert
12-05-2005, 02:43 AM
Anybody out there?

Like you said, there are plenty of art schools in the Vancouver area, I hope someone is reading this. I just wanted to get the word out that I've put together a Subway Sketching blog (http://bobbychiusubwaysketchgroup.blogspot.com/) where I plan to collect and show work from sketch groups all over. Come check it out! If you want me to also post your group's work on my site, just email the files to sketchgroups@imaginismstudios.com (sketchgroups@imaginismstudios.com)! :)

Kliide
05-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Hey everyone, just curious to see if the Vancouver Sketch group was active.

If anyone's interested, just shout out so we can begin arranging a time and place.

LucentDreams
05-09-2006, 05:51 AM
Mercy Severity, chi and I are all downtown and would loveto start doing these again, I know all three of us needto get back into some life drawing.

Kliide
07-03-2006, 05:00 AM
Well, I'm down on robson st, so I think we've got geography on our side.

Howzabout ...

Time: Saturday, July 15th, 1pm.

and from there...wander off to wherever.

I'm on msn, mycgtalkusername@hotmail.com.

Hopefully we can get a revival going.

Jon

LucentDreams
07-03-2006, 05:17 AM
I'm not sure if Chi will be back and ready to go by then but Mercy and I will for sure. then we'll disappear till mid august unfortunatleyw ith siggraph and such. Might be a good idea to post soem notices over at VFS, bout time we went back for a visit.

mercy, severity
07-03-2006, 05:25 AM
Yup i'll be there, this will be good. We should really try to get other people to join. The edmonton one is kicking our ass!:D

Kliide
07-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Glad to hear it! Perhaps if our sketch equipment is large and obnoxious enough we can attract members during our sketch :D

Anyone else who stumbles onto this thread and is thinking of meeting up, please shout out so we know to expect you.

Anyhow, I'll head on over to VFS and see if we can't wrangle some more ppl.

See you Saturday. I'll be sitting close to the New York Fries (just a guess, based on my diet).

edit: And again, for anyone stumbling in..This sketch group is for all skill levels and all walks. I found it to be a great learning experience in Edmonton thanks to Rob, Allan, Kev, Hoke, Dave, et al. The more people we have, the more styles you can encounter. Come on out! Oop, don't think I'll be heading to VFS, I thought I'd be able to post at their website. Don't really know anyone there

Kliide
07-04-2006, 07:58 PM
Could you guys make it to July 8th? I'm not sure why I set a time and date 2 weeks ahead...I'll be at the July 15th meeting for sure, but I don't see why we can't squeeze in a second meeting.

Lemme know if this works for you:

Time: Saturday July 8th, 1pm.

LucentDreams
07-05-2006, 09:29 PM
Mercy and I' will be there on the 8th as well, I'll post some flyers up for the VFS Students. I'll wear my CGTalk Buttrock shirt to make it extra easy to identify.

Kliide
07-09-2006, 05:27 AM
Well the Vancouver Sketch group met again for the first time in a while and it was a good start. It was refreshing to meet ppl in the Vancouver area who shared similar interests and a similar love for doodling and sketching.

It was great to meet Kai and Amanda and discuss such topics as spiderman's new black suit, shy life study subjects, and the history of gaming. There was sketching inolved, too :)

We'll be meeting again

Time: Saturday 1pm, July 15th.

If you're interested, drop on by. Again, all skill levels are welcome and it's a good way to jumpstart your sketching if you've been off of it a while.

See you guys next Saturday!

LucentDreams
07-15-2006, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately amanda and I have some work to do for Siggraph since time's a runnin out so we won't be there tomorrow.

Kliide
07-15-2006, 08:07 PM
I'll stop by anyhow in case there are any who didn't post but are showing up anyway.

Good luck with the preparation for Siggraph, guys.

Oh, and regarding last week's session, here's a link (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=380571) to my WIP thread for the Samurai by Kev Chu. Any crits and suggestions welcome.

CGTalk Moderation
07-15-2006, 08:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.