PDA

View Full Version : 3D Festival interviews Scott Peterson on the making of "Sprout"

lildragon
10-16-2002, 04:04 PM
Hello again all

3DFestival brings you a special interview with Scott Peterson of PDI/Dreamworks, on the making of their recent short "Sprout"

http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=243

Have fun,

lildragon

AnimatingFiend
10-16-2002, 04:54 PM
this looks very good, as i am always impressed by pdi. is this downloadable anywhere? i am assuming it isn't cause i don't see it on their main site.

sasquatch
10-16-2002, 05:01 PM
I saw sprout last week at the 3D festival in London. I actually thought it was one of the weaker animations on display there, but then the quality level was extremely high. The student films were particularly impressive (I recommend Tim-Tom and Gravitées(names might be a bit wrong), they were absolutely stunning, for completely different reasons).

lildragon
10-16-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by AnimatingFiend
this looks very good, as i am always impressed by pdi. is this downloadable anywhere? i am assuming it isn't cause i don't see it on their main site.

I believe you can order the Siggraph DVD from here
http://www.siggraph.org/publications/video-review/catalog.html
http://www.siggraph.org/publications/video-review/order_form.html
it's the first one... tho it's pretty pricy, but you get some awesome goodies in there as well, and this is the only location that I know of, other than the festivals SProut is shown :)

salud

ilasolomon
10-16-2002, 10:57 PM
very cool interview Enterd Dragon! ;)
but...
we want our cool challenge web site TOO!...beside all this cool interviews. :) pleeeeease!
:beer:

lildragon
10-16-2002, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by ila_solomon
very cool interview Enterd Dragon! ;)
but...
we want our cool challenge web site TOO!...beside all this cool interviews. :) pleeeeease!
:beer:

Heh thx, and Leo is currently back on the job :)

salud

Larry_g1s
10-16-2002, 11:47 PM
Thanks lil D!

I love interviews! It gives me a chance (obviously through the interviewer) to pick the brain of some very creative people. It's a great learning experience and sheds light's on many areas for a newbie like me.

Thanks again.

Larry <><

santiago
10-17-2002, 04:52 AM
I think the interviews are awesome!
Thanx once again!

facial
10-17-2002, 06:44 AM
I love read materials like this, thax, lildragon. :beer:

Joscci
10-17-2002, 10:07 AM
Pretty cool, I'm curious to see it now.

Wiro
10-17-2002, 11:59 AM
You dunnit again Lil, great job :thumbsup:

I ordered the DVDs right after I came back from Siggy (I think they were sold out over there)...still waiting :(
It does say 7-8 weeks on the website but this is getting ridiculous.

Wiro

puddlefish
10-17-2002, 01:22 PM
I gotta agree with sasquatch, I saw this at the LEAF festival as well and thought it was pretty weak. The animation wasn't the best, the character design was awful and the story didn't hold any interest. Definetely the worst short on show.
:thumbsdow

lildragon
10-17-2002, 01:33 PM
Thx much guys it was fun believe me...

Puddlefish: anything positive to say at all? It's one thing to trash a short, but it did make the Siggraph showreel for a reason, I'm sure you can dig something positive from the short.

salud

clp
10-24-2002, 11:48 AM
Does Siggraph ever come to Australia? The DVD's are very expensive. Any other way I can see some of this stuff?

puddlefish
10-24-2002, 01:36 PM
lil dragon: sorry, just didn't like it, especially when i consider the resources that dreamworks have available to them.
but it's a personal thing as always.

lildragon
10-24-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by puddlefish
lil dragon: sorry, just didn't like it, especially when i consider the resources that dreamworks have available to them.
but it's a personal thing as always.

Yeah this is true, but it was Scott's first venture, so that must count for something ;) Did you read his Bio?

In an effort to broaden his knowledge of animation, Scott Peterson created the animated short film entitled "Sprout." With this film, he was able to tackle such tasks as storyboarding, character rigging, animating, set-dressing, and directing that were previously unfamiliar.

salud

sasquatch
10-24-2002, 02:26 PM
That interview goes a long way towards explaining that particular animation; when I saw it, I was completely unaware of the 'birth' idea; until I read that I was under the impression that the sprout was merely trapped in some unidentified chamber. The animation definitely had the air of something that had started off as one idea, and had changed into another; it was a little directionless. You've got to respect his decision to tackle almost all the aspects of producing a short; I'm just jealous I don't have access to that kind of support network ;)

puddlefish
10-24-2002, 05:46 PM
i was never undermining the work put into the film, and of course i couldn't do better animation wise, but among the films we saw i felt it was the least appealing.

lildragon
10-24-2002, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by puddlefish
but among the films we saw i felt it was the least appealing.

Ah ok gotcha now :p

salud

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.