PDA

View Full Version : Maps for Game texturing

Hee
06-08-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi, I am new in game texturing.
I wonder how I should check my texture. Should I base on hardware rendering or software rendering? And also what maps are allowed in game engines or consoles?
According to my research, I found out that
color map
specular map
transparency map
bump map/normal map
are accepted in games. Am I right?

Thank you.

rendorx
06-08-2005, 10:43 AM
I would say so yes.
But you don't need to use them all at the same time though. (although it might occur occasionally)

Hee
06-09-2005, 12:04 AM
thanks, rendorx.

So... that's mean you have to use software rendering to check your texture works, right?
Because from my understanding, hardware rendering don't display alpha map, specular map and bump map.

rendorx
06-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Depends on your platform I think;
for consoles, you should check it in hardware because most of these things are built in.
on pc you have a wide range of graphics cards so its wise to check on several cards.
frankly, I am not sure what the point would be to check in a software renderer, unless you mean rendering from a program like max or maya

kaylon
06-09-2005, 11:48 AM
You test your textures (materials) in the engine that they will be used in.

As far as what shaders are used... totaly depends on the engine. Most now support several layers of shaders including the ones you have mentioned. The prob this produces is app's like Max and Maya may not and most of the time do not support the same shader or material systems so you are still working semi blind until you actually veiw them in a running build of your game.

Gone are the days of a single texture with an Alpha...textures are dead, everything is now materials. Materials are based on several textures to produce the end result. ANd the end result can only ever been seen using the engine your working with and plugins supplied by the engine vendor or coders.

Hee
06-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks kaylon.

What I have been doing so far is using a lambert shader with color texture applied, and increase self-illumination to maybe 50% to check my texture painting work on the hardware rendering. Am I on the right track?
If I do it this way, I wouldn't be able to check my alpha map, bump map, specular map and normal map, right? (Just assume that I am not going to use any of the game engines or console to check my texture painting. I just want to use either max or maya to check the results.)
Anyone can help me on these questions?

kaylon
06-09-2005, 07:04 PM
I'm afraid I'm now not too clear about what you mean :) ...

I assume your texturing something in Max and using Max multi-subs etc ..if so most recent engines do support most of the materials of max and maya ...so a simple render will show you close to what you will see... I don't know what you mean by "hardware" and "software" ...are you talking about the viewport/edit render modes ? ....

To see what it looks like just do a render ..... nothing fancy...nothing new...shove an Omni in there with shadows turned on and hit render ...

You can now get plugins that allow for realtime preivew of normal maps also.

P.S. alpha will show in viewports if you set transparancy to "best" and also set up a mask material for the texture.

Hee
06-09-2005, 08:07 PM
yes... you have answer my question.

My hardware means... real-time (viewport).
Software means..... hit the render button.
I thought that is the industry term. Maybe I am wrong. :)
Thank you for the help.

ChimpanG
06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
heh i see your mistake, but yes you are wrong,
in future i'd call them:
Viewport
In-Game
Rendered
-------------
hardware and software rendering mean entirely different things.

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.