RAM: 448 Megs Ram
GRAPH: ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 IGP
AUDIO: Realtek AC97
DirectX: 9.0c
OS: Windows XP Proffesional (5.1, Build 2600) SP Pack 2
HDD: 40 Gig HDD
BIOS: Version 1.16 (Latest)
GFX Driv: Downloaded from ACER.COM

Issue: CPU rising above 80-100% causing overheating and automated shutdown to prevent melt-down.

CPU rising occurs when:

- Java is executed, mouse moves over a browser with java running (eg. gmail.com)
- Photoshop, Painter - When activity occurs in the ''çanvas'''
- Moving around a normal window on Windows Interface
- Flash Running
- Maya.. (Im thinking its because it executes Java when opening)
- Games, Movies (Most of the time it wouldnt die out.. only when tampering with it or running it too long.) (Eg. Resising large Quicktime files repeatedly)

Solution?

My first guess was graphics drivers.. didnt help shit.. tried downloading from ATI.com but they dont support mobility drivers anymore, they refer you to your manufacturers site.. which I went to and downloaded the latest version. I also tried downloading the ordinary Radeon drivers but the Setup was corrupt for some reason.

Tried upgrading bios, no luck.

----

This is not a bad system.. Im supposed to be able to run whatever I want without the pc overheating like this.. its not normal!

I need help guys..

prixat
06-07-2005, 11:39 PM
One of your problems could be... Some AntiVirus programs insist on scanning every single snippet of java when it is accessed.

I get a similar sounding problem with AVG and Dreamweaver. With a delay every time I open or close Dreamweaver.

fabianv
06-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Did not help :(

Thanks for sharing though.:shrug:

imashination
06-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Depending on the age, i'd take it back. I bought a 3gig p4 laptop once from pcworld in the uk, it was fast, until after 5 minutes of rendering it would overheat and throttle down the speed until it ran at about a quarter of the correct speed. No drivers or settings will fix the overheating unless you have a specific fan setting.

fabianv
06-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Completely uninstalled Trend Micro PC-Cillin and set my XP to performance.. aswell as setting my Graphics card to performance.

Runs better now.. havnt tested Photoshop, Maya or Painter yet.

When I run High Definition DIVX videos it churns 100% cpu.. but I suppose thats reasonable... or is it just because Windows Media player is bad with memory handling?

Im going to check and see if I can find some fan settings in my bios.

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2005, 12:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.