PDA

View Full Version : Character setup for a start...

xenoid
06-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Hi all...

I am an aspiring Character Rigger and have been reading up and practising many character setup tutorials online, as well as books like Maya Character Creation and dvds from Alias. As far as I know there are tons and tons of ways to rig a character, and it all depends on the need of the production and the animators who are gonna use ur rig.

So my question is, how would I know whether I'm capable enough to handle production stuff? What are the things I can look out for (like a checklist or something) that tells me I'm at least capable of taking part in a production? The knowledge I have now are basically bits here and there, thus I'm not very sure if I'll be able to handle real production stuff as for now.

Thanx for any replies and advice!

john_homer
06-08-2005, 12:06 AM
the best test for any rig is to give it to an animator and get feedback.

generally testing it yourself will never show up all problems because you know "how it should be used", where as animators.. well.. um... oh yeah.. they are artists.. great artists that souldn't be troubled with technical issues/limitations.

if you dont have access to animators.. try this...
animate your character doing a cartwheel, animate the arms and legs in FK mode when not contacting the ground and blend to IK when they are, make sure you can lock those hands down and the blend is clean and managable.
having the character rotate 360 degrees could show up problems too..

its a simple fact that every rig can be broken (unless you use lockNodes)
you job is to make it harder for animators to do this (and they will try)
so lock channels that they shouldn't be moving, hide stuff, MAKE IT INTUITIVE TO USE.
use nice icons, dont make a million of them though...

.j

yangtsur
06-08-2005, 12:21 AM
I am newbie in using maya and encountered some problems too. I cannot find the botton that can split the polygon cube in half ( other than the subdivide function because it always divide the cube in quads in 4 different cubes which i don't want to have ). I have tried to use the split polygon tool to split it but it seems can only do it by hand there are no segament points to follow to the half length of the cube, and result being a weird shaped cube. Also when I watch the tutorial video, I see that the spinface function can only be used by script, but when I key in the code as the video showed " spinfaces " and then excute it and put on shelf, it doesn't work, says cannot find the procedure.

Is there anyone could help me to solve these problems? thanks!

xenoid
06-08-2005, 12:49 AM
John: Thank you so much! That's really a good explanation and tip you've given me... I'll try it out! :thumbsup:

Dan: Hey sorry mon but I'm not that good in modeling. Try to help... The split polygon tool can actually see which percentage of the edge you are pointing at. Juz use the split polygon tool, click and hold the mouse button on the starting edge, drag it around... You can see the percentage on the lower left corner of the screen at the helpline... But like what you've said, everything is by hand. The Cut Faces Tool can actually cut the whole cube into 2 but it creates extra vertices and I dun really know how you can control the length you wana cut. You may wana check out the MJPoly tools online. It really rocks! Hope this helps. :D

john_homer
06-08-2005, 01:08 AM
xenoid: no problem.

dan: if you want to get your questions answered, start a new thread, rather than replying to a completly unrelated thread with a question.
check out the toptions for the split poly tool.

.j

yangtsur
06-08-2005, 08:07 AM
Jon&Xen:

Thank you guys for answering, I will post for new thread next time. I will try the cut face tool and infos online as well. Thanks very much for the advises. :D

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2005, 08:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.