PDA

View Full Version : ::image from Mars::

-ste-
06-07-2005, 06:53 AM
Hi ,

For you what will be the influence of technologie for the furtur artist.Painters worked on nature,now we have already this kind of image:taken by european sonde mars express

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/marsexpress/009_Mars_northPole_H_1169_2.jpg

THX
06-07-2005, 07:18 AM
i wonder what mars snow taste like?:D

Andreyev
06-07-2005, 09:13 AM
wow this is so.... so cool. I dreamed to become an astronaut when I was a little kid. And what now - I'm sitting in front of a computer every day :-). Boring.

MorituriMax
06-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Mars snow? Don't know, but, like on Earth, do NOT eat the green snow!

Blikkie
06-07-2005, 11:24 AM
What are those black edges doing in a photograph?

Tastes a bit too CGI to me to be a photograph.

Blue-demon
06-07-2005, 10:00 PM
For a minute i thought this was a digital painting. It doesnt snow on mars..... Water needs to be pressent and on the surface...

Blikkie
06-07-2005, 11:03 PM
There is actually some ice on Mars on the polar caps. It is mostly carbondioxide, but it is white none the less and supposedly there is some waterice in it as well.

remcv8
06-08-2005, 12:59 AM
I don't think that this is a photo. It seems that maybe it's topo data from Mars which was applied to a 3d plane. I think that the white is just the high points which displays white by default. I did something like this in school only we used Lightwave. We were able to grab some data from a Gov site and apply it to a flat sub-d plane. If I remember correctly there is a Tutorial on Newteks website called "single-poly landscape" that covers it in detail.

stepington
06-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Where did you uncover this image? I'd like to read more about the process.

leigh
06-08-2005, 01:40 AM
For a minute i thought this was a digital painting. It doesnt snow on mars..... Water needs to be pressent and on the surface...

Mars has massive carbon dioxide ice (dry ice) caps.

-ste-
06-08-2005, 06:34 AM
hi here,

If you want more info and photo you can go directly at the ESA website:
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/

ste

Blikkie
06-08-2005, 08:15 AM
This is very curious, there are many of those pictures on the ESA site, but I think they are artistic impressions no matter what, those borders make no sense. I suspect they have used actual heightmaps from Mars and combined them with actual photographs to make the textures and then rendered them. I know that Terragen is quite capable of doing that (though the built-in texturing engine is better for landscaping purposes).

Terragen is quite nice for making landscapes to amaze your folks, but it stops at that.

-ste-
06-08-2005, 09:48 AM
hi,

don't hesitate to look this page about instrument used for this mission:

they use a specific camera :HRSC High Resolution Stereo Camera

"The HRSC is imaging the entire planet in full colour, 3D and with a resolution of about 10 metres. Selected areas will be imaged at 2-metre resolution. One of the camera's greatest strengths will be the unprecedented pointing accuracy achieved by combining images at the two different resolutions. Another will be the 3D imaging which will reveal the topography of Mars in full colour. "

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Mars_Express/SEMUC75V9ED_0.html

Squibbit
06-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Sorry if Mars looks bad, I textured it in the 16th century and we didn't
have the tools of nowadays back then

my apologies, ladies and gentlemen

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2005, 10:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.