PDA

View Full Version : What's all the hype?

Cerenkovman
06-07-2005, 04:49 AM
Sorry if this is a repost, but I'd like to know the answer to my question and I couldn't find where the original went.

What is the big deal about this app. in comparison to the many 3d modeling and animation packages out there? I'm very new to 3d or for that matter cg in general and am very confused with all the different apps. that claim that they are all you need. So if someone would please try to sell me on this, or at least educate me a lil bit. I appreciate all input in advance. Thanks.

Peter Octavian
06-07-2005, 05:45 AM
IMO, it's the most intuitive, and user friendly of all of the 3D programs which I've tried, and the desired results are remarkable.

CArwilk
06-07-2005, 07:47 AM
Well, Vue is very good at landscape creation and rendering - it's not designed for modeling complex objects or animating them. Its function is that of a scene creator, with people adding objects from other applications (e.g. Poser, XSI, Lightwave) to populate their scenery. Vue can help you create trees, terrain and water with relative ease and has a very good renderer. Vue 5 Infinite also has (among other things) an exciting new feature called EcoSystems, which basically allows you to say "okay, I have this terrain - now populate it with trees/rocks/whatever". Okay, that's a simplified statement, but on e-on's website (http://www.e-onsoftware.com/) you'll see plenty of samples of this technology. If you're interested, I recommend that you try the demo version to see if its features suit you. I believe the demo version of Infinite is just around the corner, but the older versions are ready for download right now.

In my experience it's an exciting and fairly easy program to work with and the results can be absolutely astounding, especially with the new EcoSystem technology. It still has some flaws - the network rendering and the synchro plugins are still somewhat buggy and it's touchy about your type of video card, but I'd say it's definitely worth its price.

agiel
06-07-2005, 04:51 PM
The big deal for me is the following :

- the app is cheap considering the amount of features. I just can't afford Cinema4D and its plugins, much less 3D Studio, Maya, Lightwave or XSI. I am not a student, so I don't qualify for discounts. My job is not related to 3D graphics, so they can't pay to it. I will not use bootleg versions.... so there are not many other options left.

- the app is easy to use... for me :) I tried demo versions of other apps, and their learning curve was prohibitive. I am comfortable with the workflow of Vue. But again, that's just me.

- the renders are good quality for what I want to do. This is in the end what matters the most. The quality of what you can do with the tool, compared to how expensive it is.

Cerenkovman
06-08-2005, 02:03 AM
I really appreciate all the input. This helps me out tremendously. When you begin a "hobby" like this, it can be very overwhelming to say the least. Every time I turn around I'm hearing something different than what I heard two seconds ago...it seems. Thanks from all us newbs.

byronpetch
06-10-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi,

Im new to vue, and usually use lightwave im starting to use vue instead of lightwave for landscape scenes (and only landscape scenes) because it is faster, easier and more realistic. I could get some realistic outdoors scenes in Lightwave but it would take a long time, involve a lot of modeling and require creating a sky dome or using a sky plugin not to mention getting the volumetric to look right.

Vue makes light work of creating lots of planting. Using the eco system I can quickly populate a terrain with plants. In lightwave I would first need to model the plants and then position them in the correct positions.

Vue has a wind/ breeze system so that all of my plants blow in the wind. I can't imagine how I would go about doing this in Lightwave.

Vue's procedural textures are very good and you can set them to change according to circumstances such as slope, altitude etc.

Not sure how it does it but it seems to handle scenes full of planting really well. Lightwave and other 3D apps ive tried would grind to a halt if I have a fraction of the plant models I use in Vue.

All in all Vue is designed to do one thing and therefore does it really well. To do in other 3D apps what you can do in Vue I think would take a lot longer and be more difficult.

I love Lightwave but vue does this one thing a lot better.

Matt P

CGTalk Moderation
06-10-2005, 04:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.