PDA

View Full Version : Rendering a file with an alpha

ddel63
06-07-2005, 02:52 AM
Hi, i'm working for a tv station and am trying to create a name plate for the lower third of the screen in after effects to be used in vegas. the problem i am having is i do not know of any format to render it in that will keep an alpha. when i render it as an .avi it keeps the black background. i want only the name plate and its effects to show up in vegas but instead i get the black background too. obviously .avi is not the way to go, does anyone know the right format? i'm sure there's a way to do this because i see it done all the time. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mylenium
06-07-2005, 05:03 AM
Use Quicktime with the animation CoDec or Uncompressed. Other than that many editing systems will handle Targa sequences in realtime.

Mylenium

ddel63
06-08-2005, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the reply Mylenium, i am not sure what you mean by animation codec for quicktime, is that something that you have to download? i tried a targa sequence. it imported alright, but did not carry an alpha. is there a setting in after effects i have to set fo the alpha to work? i feel like i'm one step away from getting this problem solved. if you know of anything please let me know. thanks.

Mylenium
06-08-2005, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the reply Mylenium, i am not sure what you mean by animation codec for quicktime, is that something that you have to download? i tried a targa sequence. it imported alright, but did not carry an alpha. is there a setting in after effects i have to set fo the alpha to work? i feel like i'm one step away from getting this problem solved. if you know of anything please let me know. thanks.

Animation is a standard CoDec that comes with Quicktime - once you install QT, it's already on your system. As for the rest, look in the manual under output modules/ render settings.

Mylenium

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2005, 10:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.