PDA

View Full Version : Thread modeling in a screw

jokko
06-07-2005, 01:11 AM
Hi
I've been trying to model the thread on a screw for about an hour or so, and I'm kind of stuck... Any recomendations on how you'd do this (and yes I'm expecting the "spend more time on it")?
Thanks a lot :)
Jerome.

Blikkie
06-07-2005, 03:11 PM
I can't really tell you if I don't know what program you use, so if you tell me what program you use i might be able to tell what to do, but I am a bit of a blenderhead, since that is the only 3d program I have a legal copy of :-).

gonemad
06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
Well, in 3D Max I'd create a spline that spirals for the length that I want the screw. Then I'd make another spline in a ">" shape. I'd loft that shape along the spiral. Then I'd take the edges of the ">" and extrude them up or down and weld them to where they conect the spiral either above or below them. Then I'd align the verticies at the top and bottom to make them planar. A couple of extrudes and bevels for the head of the screw. Chamfer some edges so their not so hard, and ta-da. You have a screw.

jokko
06-07-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks a lot !
I'll try that :)
ho by the way, I'm using Maya 6
Jerome.

Blikkie
06-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Maybe it would be easier for you if you used the application specific forum for that, but you might encounter some slight annoyance, since this kind of basic stuff is usually covered by mastering the basics tutorials (at least it is for Blender), or so common that it has been asked before. F.I. if you google "maya screw modelling tutorial" the third hit is a relevant cgtalk discussion.

I know that I am not much in a position to be preacherlike, but I view cgtalk as a moderately serious forum, and on such a forum I expect people to dug a bit deeper before looking for help.

jscott
06-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Check this for a neat way to do a screw using Sub-D.

http://www.luxology.com/community/

-jscott

jokko
06-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Thank you so much for your replies :)
unfortunately, don't have much time to try that now, but I definitely will this WE, and wo knows, I might post my masterpieces hehe
Jerome.

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2005, 10:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.