PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray for Maya HDRI how-to

Array
10-16-2002, 03:16 AM
http://www.br1.org/2002/postnuke/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=2&page=1

BIG thanks to SEDAH for providing this link.

PureFire
10-16-2002, 04:24 AM
sweet your a champ.... /me goes and reads:beer:

Array
10-16-2002, 04:26 AM
i shouldnt even have to post this article. shame on alias for not including this in their documentation.

Gentle Fury
10-16-2002, 04:38 AM
Thats'it, now launch Maya and load the MentalRay plugin; clean up the screen and your mouse's ball (if it's not an optical one). I created a standard IBL (image based lightning) scene. I guess they are many ways to do it, I usually just create a nurbs sphere and plane and Scale them up.

what the hell???? I created a standard IBL scene???? wth does that mean? wasnt that the point of the tutorial, to show how to do that?

I hate it when tuts leave out important parts

Br1
11-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Hi Gentle Fury...

Hum... no, it wasn't the point of the tutorial to show that. I guess you can find many articles about how IBL works just by searching a few minutes on Google. The point was to show how to use HDRI pictures within Maya and Mentalray.

Just to get more details on what I call a standart IBL scene. Using those terms I just want to specify that you use your Images as light sources. They are different ways to do that. I think the most used solution is to connect the image to a surrounding object in your scene, for example a sphere. But It could also be a cube, a cylindre, or multiple different planes projecting different files.

Anyway if you want or need more help on the subject, just drop me an email with your questions and I'll try to answer them.

Cheers

br1
br1@br1.org

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.