PDA

View Full Version : What's your ultimate goal in art?

ashakarc
06-06-2005, 08:20 AM
Most of us started doing art because we wanted to, or may be we had to, or just suddenly we found ourselves doing it without a real reason, scribbling on the book while the teacher is in session.

Whether being amateurs, or professionals, I guess each one us has ambitions and goals. To be honest, I think most will desire to be well accomplished in what they do, before even they think about money. However there could be one or few ultimate goals in hand that justify the journey and sacrifices,

What are they for you?

Everlost
06-06-2005, 10:51 AM
I honestly do it for enjoyment almost entirely

when it makes me money all the better, but I have done so much volunteer work for people just because I like doing it.

Desert-of-Seth
06-06-2005, 10:56 AM
MY goal has been to make my dreams come true :)

I've had a passive life since i was a kid (for i had no-one around me and i had no siblings).This lonely life was very boring,so i started sreaming,creating my own characters :) then i felt the need of seeing them,as 2D pictures :)

paperclip
06-06-2005, 11:06 AM
I want to be able to look at something I did and be proud to call it my own. I want to be able to fulfil what I can dream up and be able to translate ideas properly from my mind to the paper/screen. I want to be able to relate colors flawlessly and render forms beautifully.

Ahemm...I just love it!

heythatreallyhurts
06-06-2005, 11:47 AM
It's enjoyment for me. Drawing has been my absolute favorite thing to do for as long as I can remember. When I was little, my mom didn't punish me by taking away my video games or television; she took away my pencils and paper. There is still nothing else in the world I can do for hours and hours and love every minute of it: not reading, not watching television, not playing video games ... I always get tired of them sooner or later. Drawing, though, I can sit and do and lose track of time. Often I'll sit down in the evening to draw, and next thing I know, my girlfriend is waking up to go to work in the morning. So I guess my goal is just to draw. I don't even care if I ever get paid for it.

StealthPharaoh
06-06-2005, 12:27 PM
my goal is to find my goal..lol
sersiously lots of stuff on my mind..don't know what i really want from art or for my life..my mind always changing..but's it's always been about art..just don't know exactly what i want to do.. but i'm more into 2d art..i wanna learn traditional painting and art first and then get into 3d more in the future

Squibbit
06-06-2005, 12:39 PM
I wanna do something for any of the Fallout series sequels, as
well as something for Star Wars, Episode VII - IX

studiomaxer3d
06-06-2005, 03:25 PM
My ultimate goal is to be the best that I can be and stick to one thing. I'm always jumping around from 2d to 3d to graphic design. Because of this I haven't been able to master anything. I'm just ok at most things. And the result is sitting in a stupid office building updating websites and not doing art for a living. I've always had an ability to draw but I never focused like I should have. Growing up everyone in my area where I live put down people who wanted to do art for a living. "you can't make money drawing, you need to be an electrician." So I listened to them.. and quickly found myself to be very unhappy. So it was then that I decided to get back into art.

My advice to anyone who loves to draw, paint, etc.. Do it and don't let any negative outside influences tell you you can't.

It wasn't until recently that I got back into drawing.. and suddenly found myself drawing much better than in the past. So now its full steam ahead........
look out Feng and Ryan.. (well maybe not, but who knows)
DRAW On...................

ashakarc
06-06-2005, 10:42 PM
MY goal has been to make my dreams come true :)

I've had a passive life since i was a kid (for i had no-one around me and i had no siblings).This lonely life was very boring,so i started sreaming,creating my own characters :) then i felt the need of seeing them,as 2D pictures :)
Although, I'm not in this position, but I find it a refuge, very personal one, that I could say things at least to myself, that I can't even share it with words. Throughout the years, painting became a friend, honest, fun to be with, and a mirror that I could see myself through.

When I was little, my mom didn't punish me by taking away my video games or television; she took away my pencils and paper.
Wow, quite moving story, I must say that parenting is the toughest job one could have. Thanks for sharing. :)

mireneye
06-06-2005, 10:44 PM
I think you'll all laugh when i tell you this but its only to make a very long story short.
Im doing it to beacome a real pirate one day!.

Cheers

ashakarc
06-06-2005, 10:45 PM
I think you'll all laugh when i tell you this but its only to make a very long story short.
Im doing it to beacome a real pirate one day!.

Cheers
Lol..what's the longer version of the story?

-NG-
06-06-2005, 11:19 PM
My ultimate goal would be the skill to put my entire imagination on canvas and make it come to life.

Blue-demon
06-06-2005, 11:20 PM
I remember when i first started drawing properly, they were shitty anime but now i've grown out of that and would love to create something so beautiful.. i guess i do it for beauty..

A pirate ???

Chris Bacon
06-06-2005, 11:39 PM
For me the goal in my art is what I want out of life.....if I can make my way through life animating, Ive made it......but theres always room for improvment...so with that in mind Im always wanting to get the knolage to improve my animations

(I hate my spelling)

XYZRGB
06-06-2005, 11:45 PM
My goal ..easy !
My goal is to finish something that I start.
( and then not have people tell me that I'm a total failure and get laughed at. )
That's my goal.

O.K. ...well...

My goal.
Hmm. I want to create something through my art that makes the world a better place. Be it through inspiring others to be more creative, or just through making people that view my art feel a certain way.

( I'd love to make people laugh. )

( So far all my art does not fit the above category.:) )

mireneye
06-07-2005, 12:35 AM
Lol..what's the longer version of the story?
Ive dreamed when i was small about making games, and such, so i was planning for myself. At first I want to beacome really good at art, i love it above anything. And whilist growing older, i realise there is just so many things i want to try, and, amongs all those things ultimately i want to beacome a pirate. However, i figured beacoming one will be tough, you'd need a really good boat and all, so give or take i need a few millions first *You see where this is getting i bet* So, after earning a few millions *I make it sound easy dont I ?* I account for this to be when im around 30 haha. Ill buy a ship and get a crew :P. Then, when i go on a treasure/woman hunt for the next maybe 30 years, and then, ill settle down as an Antique and Occult Book Collector. Unless I follow my other child dream and beacome a Mad Scientists who creates illegal substances and monsters etc... Ok, call me wicked if so I am!, but im wicked in a good way, beacuse atleast im really intending to fullfill my visions!.

Cheers!

ashakarc
06-07-2005, 12:40 AM
Ive dreamed when i was small about making games, and such, so i was planning for myself. At first I want to beacome really good at art, i love it above anything. And whilist growing older, i realise there is just so many things i want to try, and, amongs all those things ultimately i want to beacome a pirate. However, i figured beacoming one will be tough, you'd need a really good boat and all, so give or take i need a few millions first *You see where this is getting i bet* So, after earning a few millions *I make it sound easy dont I ?* I account for this to be when im around 30 haha. Ill buy a ship and get a crew :P. Then, when i go on a treasure/woman hunt for the next maybe 30 years, and then, ill settle down as an Antique and Occult Book Collector. Unless I follow my other child dream and beacome a Mad Scientists who creates illegal substances and monsters etc... Ok, call me wicked if so I am!, but im wicked in a good way, beacuse atleast im really intending to fullfill my visions!.

Cheers!Dude, to get the millions, you have to be a pirate first ;] but I didn't get the connection to art goals, or may be this is a pirate lingo...don't laugh, but I wanted to be a pirate too when I was a kid.

Kargokultti
06-07-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm beyond the point of no return. In other words: I'd suck at flippin' hamburgers.

Lunatique
06-07-2005, 05:25 AM
To tell the kind of stories that "I" personally would be a big fan of and enjoy thoroughly. It could be a live action film, an animated feature, a short film, a video game, a novel, a comic book, or anything else.

jinnseng
06-07-2005, 06:27 AM
Creating art is something like self therapy for me. I feel like there's a huge plug stuck somewhere in my scattered mind that is blocking whatever it is that's trying to come out. Everytime I draw or attempt to paint, just praticing or thinking hard about design, it feels like the block is slowly breaking down. I hope someday it comes out full flood and I will ride the it to the end.

kmest
06-07-2005, 03:25 PM
not an ultimate goal......i just love the process....i want to be so powerfull to do my things..my thoughts....thats all.....something new..who knows??

and i read in some philosophy book somewhere that a HUMAN ultimate goal is to be on TOP..the TOPPEST...to become a god....

speaking of the pirates,you want to be,.....i AM:scream:

Kargokultti
06-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Arr! Ken ye talk the talk, ye scurvy bilge rat?

http://www.talklikeapirate.com/

ashakarc
06-07-2005, 06:27 PM
To tell the kind of stories that "I" personally would be a big fan of and enjoy thoroughly. It could be a live action film, an animated feature, a short film, a video game, a novel, a comic book, or anything else.
Hey Lunatique, nicely put.
I just checked your site, and it seems you are on your way to achieve it. Man "what you don't know" (http://www.ethereality.info/ethereality_website/music/Lunatique%20-%20What%20You%20Don't%20Know%20(unfinished%20clip).mp3) is brilliant, I hope you let me know when you finish it. Very impressive stuff all in all.

robotJAM1
06-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Doing artwork for a living is the best job I can think of. Getting paid for just making pictures. As for myself I'd really like to do something that I'm 99% happy with.

TheCleaner
06-08-2005, 07:24 AM
my goal about 3 weeks ago was purely 'get the work done for the deadline'.. no ive met the deadlines (A-Level Fine Art) its purely enjoyment.. we were just doing some voluntery life drawing, and i was loving it.. thats how i know i must keep art as a pleasure, though when its for work, i dont enjoy it half as much as i cant let it go where it wants.. also though, its partly why im doing architecture at uni, its a means of keeping hold of art, without it being as formal as say a fine art course

DaddyMack
06-08-2005, 09:00 AM
My goals are many but I guess the big picture for me is to communicate aspects of life/ human nature etc in a way that will outlast my time here...

Mostly I just do it because I can't not...

pogonip
06-08-2005, 09:09 AM
To be an Art Director at a company that puts out AAA quality games like Squaresoft ,ID,EPIC, or Blizzard or many others. That would be a dream come true :)

JARhead
06-08-2005, 09:33 AM
I want to create something thats inspiring to others and to my self.

If anything I would like to do something on a vary large scale, either it be my own little world or help create some one ealse world for them. Man do I wish I was on bord for Star Wars, or Lord of the Rings! I envy any man or woman who particapated in the makings of such visual master pecies! Perhaps the last 3 movies of SW, I could be a part of if I play my cards right. I have a long ways to go, but I guess Ill look up on top when I get there.

Im going to go to school during the fall, one step at a time I suppose...

Cheers! To our long journey down a path we know little about. Were it will lead us, what it will teach us, or what it might learn from us, we have no idea. When will we get there? Only time will tell.

nebezial
06-08-2005, 09:40 AM
umm, i guess world domination lol, nah i want to make the best comics i can, so i just do my best:D

THECLYKE
06-08-2005, 06:08 PM
To Be Able To Sit Back And Know That I Am The Holder Of A 30 Cgtalk Awards And Be Able To Put It On My Resume.....to Land A Job In The Industry Whether Doing Comics, Video Games,film Or Animations. To Eat With Artist Who Use To Think I Sucked And Then Spit In Their Food And They Thank Me AND EAT IT Cause I'm ONE of The Biggest Names Out There (aaaaaah Sweet Revenge) And To Make My Single Loving Moma Proad Of Me.....

Annnnd How:buttrock:

Lunatique
06-09-2005, 04:18 AM
To Be Able To Sit Back And Know That I Am The Holder Of A 30 Cgtalk Awards And Be Able To Put It On My Resume.....to Land A Job In The Industry Whether Doing Comics, Video Games,film Or Animations. To Eat With Artist Who Use To Think I Sucked And Then Spit In Their Food And They Thank Me AND EAT IT Cause I'm ONE of The Biggest Names Out There (aaaaaah Sweet Revenge) And To Make My Single Loving Moma Proad Of Me.....

Annnnd How:buttrock:

I hope you are kidding.

Swizzle
06-09-2005, 05:29 AM
My ultimate goal is to be able to say constantly "Damn that looks good! I made that!" That's it. My ultimate goal is to impress myself.

ace4016
06-09-2005, 05:35 AM
I have two ultimate goals in art:

1) I always wanted to invent things, hence why I want to become an engineer, but I doubt a quarter of what I planned to create will ever see the light of day in my life time so I atleast want to see my concepts outside of my head. It is so difficult for me to get ideas out of my head though at the moment with my art skill, but I'm working at it.

2) As a kid and even now, I have had these stories in my head that I never really got to tell anyone, and I hate writing but I love drawing and animation. I don't know if I will ever get to finish telling my stories, but I'll never know if I tell myself it will never happen.

ace4016
06-09-2005, 05:40 AM
My ultimate goal is to be able to say constantly "Damn that looks good! I made that!" That's it. My ultimate goal is to impress myself.

I haven't found an artist that said that about thier own work yet (although I haven't met too many).

Tsukiyono
06-09-2005, 06:51 AM
My desires in art.. my goals...

I would say that my goals with art is to create the enviroments i see in my mind, to see those places i would love to go to. I am not very good, i know this now, but i strive to learn as much as i can, so perhaps, one day other people can see what i see in my head.

If i gain money or acknowlegment for it, so be it, i would rather not, but if it happens it happens :)

mannix8
06-09-2005, 02:18 PM
majority of the art that I did was mostly based on the request of the clients. So, perhaps the goal was just to make it attractive and appealing to the customers; making sure that that exactly what they wanted to have so that they will stick with you in this business.

Seratogui
06-09-2005, 06:04 PM
To be good at it.

shivmoo
06-09-2005, 06:08 PM
1: to finish 1 scene.. (at least)
2:to be happy with a finished scene
3: to see what things surprise me.
4: to expand my imagination

in that order

ashakarc
06-09-2005, 06:19 PM
1: to finish 1 scene.. (at least)
2:to be happy with a finished scene
3: to see what things surprise me.
4: to expand my imagination

in that order
Alright, this is just my personal view:

In any creative process that leads to producing art, there is no finish line. The moment you decide that's it is only a moment that you the artist feel the work has reached the saturation point. Byitself, it does not represent the finish line. There is not even a start line, the idea starts in your mind not on paper first. How many times you would think you are done with the work, and next day you would see it differently. I know that is another topic, just wanted to say that your first 2 points are not to worry about as much as the 3rd one.

p.s. I have a headache today, this might have affected my style, but not my thoughts!

shivmoo
06-09-2005, 07:07 PM
i guess you are right.. but it would still be nice to have something that doesnt change like my mind.
and i do tend to set myself a "when it will be finished" list.. so when they are done then it is finished...
i do not like tweeking stuff because i find that they escape my first idea, and after doing little tweaks to the model it has lost magic of of i had finished without tweaks, (hope that makes sense)

are you a 2d or 3d artist.. or are you a both... it might be interesting to see how poeple are different in the way they see things finished..
:)

Kasuhaku
06-11-2005, 03:58 PM
I honestly don't know. While my goal in the future would be to able to make money "just" by painting (doesn't matter if it's what I love best or just what the client wants), I believe that the process of learning is what really keeps me going. Kind of difficult - everytime I draw, I meet that goal and at the same time I'm falling behind...

Gord-MacDonald
06-12-2005, 02:02 AM
To wake up every morning , and think - 'man its great to be alive'. To live each moment in anticipation of both the big and not so big successes (creatively), To feel pride at a job well done, and finally to do all of this while having time for my family, and a degree of financial freedom.

Gord

CGTalk Moderation
06-12-2005, 02:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.