PDA

View Full Version : Little question about animation

Joebount
12-20-2001, 05:43 AM
I'd like to know the best method to create an animated character : I have a character divided into different parts (the hands, the haid, the hair, the trousers, etc.)

Well, what should I do ? Must I gather all the parts into one single poly object or is it another method ? How do you link an object to a part of an object (to make it move with the object, but to avoid it from beeing deformed by the skinning ) ?

I want to put a bone structure to animate it. That's why I'd like to know the best method :)

Please, help !!! :D

PS : I work with 3Ds MAX 4.

JoBbE
12-20-2001, 08:41 AM
hm I'm sure that
a) the max manual provides information about bone animation
b) there are lots of tutorials out there...

why don't you read your manual?

Joebount
12-20-2001, 10:01 AM
Why ? easy : we have a student version of max and they don't remember where is the manual :(. the online help just indicate how to set up bones and how to animate, but they don't tell how to do what I'd like to know, so ... :confused: :confused: :confused:

Fat&ugly
12-20-2001, 10:39 AM
I only model in max... but in soft you just need to parent the seperate pieces to one piece or null and envelope the rig to the piece or null that the rest are all parented under.

P.S. where are you in France?

Joebount
12-21-2001, 09:37 AM
Hi !
well, I try to figure out how to fix this problem (don't hesitate to anser to this thread guys :D). I live near Germany but my gf live near Switzerland and I will spend X-mas there.

JoBbE
12-21-2001, 11:27 AM
hm ok.. well I can't tell you too much about max because I don't use it but I really think there must be lots of tutes out there... try google odr dogpile or something similar with
3ds max animation bones tutorial
this should give you a few useful pages...

LFShade
12-22-2001, 04:15 AM
I'll cut to the chase for you.

Don't combine your parts into a single mesh. All of your parts can share a common instance of the skin modifier. Just select all the parts of your character, then apply the skin mod. For parts that need to "stay with" other parts, make sure they're enveloped to the same bone(s).

For instance, you say you have a separate hair object. In this case, set the head envelope to include all of the hair's vertices with a weight of 1. Now the hair will move with the head as though it were "glued on."

After you set this up, when you select any part of your character it will appear to have its own skin modifier. This is what you want, and it's not eating up extra memory as you might expect because as I said it's a single, instanced modifier.

Hope this helps! You can email or reply if you run into bumps in the process; I'll do my best to help:D

Joebount
12-22-2001, 07:49 AM
thanks a lot LFShade, I will use your trick this weekend and try to post something next week !

Thanks again !

Daxx
01-17-2002, 10:21 PM
Try Character Studio ^_^

ErickG
02-06-2002, 07:51 AM
you can combine them into a single mesh object. This is often helpfull when you don't want to have to deal with lots of instanced modifiers and it will speed your viewport speed-up which helps.

-Erick

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.