PDA

View Full Version : Maya and Vue Compositing

lapdog
06-05-2005, 11:44 PM
I know Maya pretty well but not Vue 5. I have found a perfect camera angle in Maya and using the VueSynch Maya plugin, set up a synchronized camera in Vue for a still shot. I now want to import a Maya object (obj/mtl) into Vue and have that object in the exact location with the proper scale as it was in Maya.

At the moment, I am at a loss on how to do this. Importing objects that are set at 0,0,0 in Maya don't come into Vue at 0,0,0. Sometimes the imported object is 50 times larger.

My ultimate goal is to composite rendered images from both Maya and Vue, and this requires not only sychronized camera placement but some kind of "sychronized" object placement and scale. I don't think Vue does this, so I'm wondering if there is a manual method that might work. IMHO, Vue seems to be capricious about placing and scaling objects, but maybe I'm misunderstanding the process.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wabe
06-06-2005, 06:51 AM
I am not familiar with Maya and the sync plugin of course.

But what you should do are two things.

#1 switch off the automatic scale setting in the Vue preferences - "resize and center imported objects". To avoid exactly that the objects are rescaled. And repositioned.

#2 a good method to be on the save side is to create a cube in Maya that surround your whole scene. And import that cube together with all objects you want to import into Vue. That guarantees a constant scaling and positioning because Vue takes the maximum values of course. Then you can delete this cube or make it invisible or whatever.

Hope that helps a little.

lapdog
06-07-2005, 02:21 AM
Your suggestions are immediately useful and are exactly what I was looking for.

Camera sychronization is problematic. It works in some cases only to fail later on with the same camera - I'm not sure why. For example, the sychornized camera will be aimed correctly in Vue. Upon resyncing from Maya, the sychronized camera in Vue is now below ground and far away from its intended location. Sometimes, the sychronized camera is upside down and it might take several sync on/off's to get it upright again.

Personally, I don't like the method of camera syncing (seems like IPC) and wish they simply exported a file from the Maya plugin with a simple camera update button in Vue.

E-onSoftware has taken the right tack in strengthing the integration its software with other 3D packages; I applaud their efforts. Now if we could just swat all those pesky software bugs.

Thanks again.

Wabe
06-07-2005, 07:04 AM
E-onSoftware has taken the right tack in strengthing the integration its software with other 3D packages; I applaud their efforts. Now if we could just swat all those pesky software bugs.

Thats why i report all i find directly to e-on. Especially with propositions how to solve the problem - if this is possible!

Only makes the product better and easier to use.

<Pino>
06-07-2005, 12:30 PM
Your suggestions are immediately useful and are exactly what I was looking for.

Camera sychronization is problematic. It works in some cases only to fail later on with the same camera - I'm not sure why. For example, the sychornized camera will be aimed correctly in Vue. Upon resyncing from Maya, the sychronized camera in Vue is now below ground and far away from its intended location. Sometimes, the sychronized camera is upside down and it might take several sync on/off's to get it upright again.

Personally, I don't like the method of camera syncing (seems like IPC) and wish they simply exported a file from the Maya plugin with a simple camera update button in Vue.

Thanks again.

hello lapdog,
at the beginning of working with vue i was with the same problems in maya, but after a posting here and updating my vuesynctools i have 100% great working between vue and maya. Only thing is to keep the scale to 50 in the synctool(if not you have your describet problems)

lapdog
06-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Well, its working now.

I installed the 5.06 beta and checked that the VueSynch plugins are current.

After scalling the synchronized camera in Vue to 1 (by default its set to 50) I verified that camera coordinates and orientation are correct. I believe scaling to 1 works because as advised in this thread, I have turned off "resize and center imported objects" in File | options dialog.

I then deleted and re-imported the Maya object (obj/mtl) I'm testing; low and behold I have correct placment and scale for both camera and object.

The only adjustment needed was to drop the groundplane a few units to the bottom of the test object (a bridge).

BTW, if I import another object, I can place it manually by the following simple placement rules:

maya x,y,z = vue x,z,-y
vue x,y,z = maya x,-z,y

In any case, I am grateful the help.

AniMajik
06-09-2005, 04:43 AM
Well, its working now.

I installed the 5.06 beta and checked that the VueSynch plugins are current.

After scalling the synchronized camera in Vue to 1 (by default its set to 50) I verified that camera coordinates and orientation are correct. I believe scaling to 1 works because as advised in this thread, I have turned off "resize and center imported objects" in File | options dialog.

I then deleted and re-imported the Maya object (obj/mtl) I'm testing; low and behold I have correct placment and scale for both camera and object.

The only adjustment needed was to drop the groundplane a few units to the bottom of the test object (a bridge).

BTW, if I import another object, I can place it manually by the following simple placement rules:

maya x,y,z = vue x,z,-y
vue x,y,z = maya x,-z,y

In any case, I am grateful the help.

Thank you for the bit of info on import from Maya!
Also a Maya user and new to Vue. Have not tried the plug-in yet.

-AniMajik

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2005, 04:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.