PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Fakes Rebuttal

flipnap
10-16-2002, 12:10 AM
heres the story..

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=528&ncid=528&e=15&u=/ap/20021014/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_ad

and heres the cache because the sites been pulled

http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:JmwQcVoG-ucJ:www.microsoft.com/insider/opsystems/windowsxp_setup.asp+windowsxp_setup.asp&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

I cant imagine what ballmer looked like running around after this one:(

Taoizm
10-16-2002, 02:01 AM
Bwahahahaha :applause:

beautiful :twisted:

PNelson
10-16-2002, 02:41 AM
It's amazing to see some decisions made by large corporations..

Usually the can be attributed to someone being extremely lazy..

Philip Nelson

flipnap
10-16-2002, 11:44 AM
yeah, not to mention she actually worked for M$ and the original document that this information was on was a mac word document.. M$ should just stick to bone crushin ..

bentllama
10-16-2002, 04:33 PM
*sigh*

Not another "I hate MS" thread...

flipnap
10-16-2002, 04:36 PM
problem is, M$ started this one... go write them a letter..

sigh....

Chewey
10-16-2002, 06:10 PM
"I'm shocked, shocked that there is gambling going on here! "

lol!

Luke Werhli
10-16-2002, 08:22 PM
Hahahah. Thatīs why I "love" Microsoft.

Saurus
10-16-2002, 10:11 PM
gee...all Microsoft had to do was post an ad, and Im sure they will people who converted from Mac to PC. Im one of them! Did all my stuff on a Mac (never touched a PC) at home and work, but then I converted to PC. I haven't looked back since.

Saurus:bounce:

flipnap
10-16-2002, 10:24 PM
exactly.. thats why this is such a ridiculous position they've put themselves in.. but then again, thats what they excel at.. get it, excel...

Jhonus
10-16-2002, 11:01 PM
exactly.. thats why this is such a ridiculous position they've put themselves in.. but then again, thats what they excel at.. get it, excel...

word up.

word - up. word. :shrug:

bentllama
10-17-2002, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by flipnap
problem is, M$ started this one... go write them a letter..

sigh....

I will write them a letter...and maybe they will include the answer with my next paycheck... :)

xzevlin
10-17-2002, 05:32 AM
If you think about it though, just about every ad we see on tv is an actor pretending that they use a product and it makes their life great and worth living. They're playing a character. We get infomercials all the time with crowds of liars saying how much they love a product they've never used before. What's the big deal if Microsoft did it in a web ad rather than an infomercial?

Luke Werhli
10-17-2002, 12:04 PM
The difference is that Microsoft is the biggest company in the world and this amplifies a zillion times things.

The difference is that they donīt need to do this.

flipnap
10-17-2002, 12:40 PM
Also keep in mind that there is a certain understanding by the American people that commercials, infommercials and the such are hired actors; people dont think they are real people anymore than you think Toby Macguire is REALLY spiderman.. But there is a difference in the Mac and PC ad campaign.. The people on the mac ads ARE real people and Macintosh levies the authenticity of the campaign based ENTIRELY on the fact that these people are real. Microsoft attempted to do the same, based on the same principal, but got caught in a lie.. In fact the letter submitted was actually written on a MACINTOSH!! thats totally embarrasing for M$...The worst part of it all is that there are probably a gazillion people out there who wouldve testified to switching from a mac to a pc.. But Microsoft did what they did because they are who they are.. They got busted more times than I can count in the anti-trust case.. They tried to show a video tape of a windows session crashing after removing explorer from the OS.. One of the prosecutors noticed the cursor jumping positions at the time and they revealed it was indeed an edit, but that thats what happens anyway so it was a legally correct move.. Huh?? why cant they just be normal? They make enough money you know... When you have more money than you can imagine, greed turns to power and power has a strange effect on companies...

Chewey
10-17-2002, 05:19 PM
Most people with dual digit iq's and above are likely aware that everyone who participates in a commercial gets paid and probably has the dialogue scripted ahead of time. double duh!

This thread makes the "what color is your chewing gum" thread look significant in comparison.

flipnap
10-17-2002, 05:54 PM
Getting paid to do a commercial and having a script means the people arent real? I dont follow your logic.. But youre right. we're all stupid. M$ got caught with their pants down but lets not talk about it anymore .. shoulda been apple instead, there'd be plenty of hootin and hollerin.. it wouldve been so much fun!!..

oh well.

wheres that chewing gum thread anyway..

Temis
10-17-2002, 09:20 PM
Not to add to fuel to the fire but it is my understanding that most if not all of the "people" featured in the Apple ads are, in fact, acting. These are people that really bought a Mac but the people filming the commercial get them to exaggerate and amplify their negative opinions about Windows and be absolutely glowing about the Mac. And they ARE getting paid for doing that too, which completely defeats any argument of "real people".

If you use a computer and you don't see anything wrong with the way things are designed or manipulated by their respective manufacturers, then you are blindly fanatical. All systems have serious flaws, it's a fact of life.

beaker
10-18-2002, 02:02 AM
I donno, doesn't look like tony hawk is acting, looks like he is being himself :)

Anyone know where to get the Will Farrel one? The people that saw it at macworld said it was really funny.

googlo
10-18-2002, 04:42 AM
Yeah but the problem with those Whitedrop mac adds is that they make Mac users look like stupid people.

"yeah, uh, I wrote my paper on a pc, and it just disappeared when the printer jammed. And I was like, 'what?'. That was uh, like a really good report, uh, and loosing it, well, that wasn't good! But when I do a report on Mac, it just prints and well, it's just there, you know, in my hands! What can be any better than that!"

It's worse when they have someone punchline in the end with what kind of occupation or job they have and it's something like a veterinary doctor who can do something like that but is simply bewildered by the complexities of windows pc.

They make people who choose to use Macs look like idiots. I can understand them wanting to show how it might be easier to use a Mac, but they are really insulting people in the way they are doing it..

beaker
10-18-2002, 06:19 AM
>>I can understand them wanting to show how it might be easier to use a Mac, but they are really insulting people in the way they are doing it..

The adds are not made for educated computer users.

dude, mom and pop newbie computer users even get confused and frustrated with macs(less though). The adds totally relate to new computer users. I know you have heard of all the stupid stories people have called up support for using their cdrom as a cup holder, using the mouse as a foot peddle, holding a piece of paper up to the monitor for it to scan, etc... There are millions of stories like this, and there is a reason why.

When I was a sysadmin for a college you wouldn't believe all the lameness that people did. Copying files to their floppy was a bewilderment to them. Trying to explain to them why the image they are printing out is all pixely: "no you cannot print that thumbnail image off the web as a full 8x10 picture and make it look nice." I found floppy disks in zip drives all the time. Half of them didn't even know the difference between a mac or a pc. Students always comming into a mac lab and can't figure out why 3dsmax isn't on the machines or even better, a student comming to the sgi lab and can't figure out why office isn't on the indy so they can do their report on it. I mean, all the damn machines are electric blue and green for christs sake, but to the average person, they are just another computer. Then they are going to complain to the dean because all the other labs are full and they can't run f'ing m$ word on the indy. Another favorite was a woman in administration put her heater next to her computer because she thought it was too cold and the computer needed warming up. One person in financial services would kicked the shit out of the computer with her foot when it pissed her off. A third had a toaster oven on top of her computer and we vacumed lots of crumbs out of that puppy. All three of them were totally bewildered as to why their computers were broken.

I could go on and on about how computer illiterate many people are even in a school environment where they use computers in most of their classes(computer animation students) and administration that use m$ office all day long and can keep good records but are at a loss as to simple stuff like printing or copying files to a disk.

It is much harder to look at the perspective of these people when you have grown up with computers. Try teaching someone who has never used a computer in their life, how to use one. It can be very frustrating because it is second nature to you. You just have to grit your teeth and softly repeat the same stuff over and over again because what you really want to do is just grab the mouse out of their hands and do the task for them(then beat the over the head with the mouse after :) ). But if I did they would never learn. I have tried to explain how to do stuff to my mom, but she just get this glossy look over their eyes if it is even a remotely complex operation. This is on her ibook running os9.

Temis
10-18-2002, 07:03 AM
"The adds are not made for educated computer users. "

Well.. then how come there's at least two of those Ads where there's one guy saying "with Windows it was impossibly hard to connect my camera and print pictures. With a Mac it is so easy. Occupation: IT Manager for a Fortune 500 company" and the other is something like "I couldn't get the Windows machines on the network and nothing worked. With the Mac everything just works. Occupation: Tech writer for a magazine", or some such. To imply that an IT manager at any capacity can't for the life of him figure out how to print out an image is a compelte fabrication, as is for anyone having anything to do with "tech" to say that with Macs "everything just works". Nothing "just works", and especially not Macs in a foreign environment, at least not in my own experience. Can Macs (and PCs) do pretty much anything if you know what you're doing? absolutely, but have you connected a digital camera to Windows XP? It pops up on the desktop and you can print right off of it. If you can't figure that out, you will not be able to figure out what side of the computer should face you.

playmesumch00ns
10-18-2002, 08:33 AM
Well said Beaker & Tremis.

Stories of new computer users make me laugh, but then you sit back and say "Does that make me a geek?"

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.