PDA

View Full Version : Environment art forums: POLL

Enlighter
06-05-2005, 05:37 AM
I know there are a TON of environment artists out there who would love to see this site add an environments section to the forums.

A CG choice section
A gallery section
And a WIP/Critique section.

It would bring many new artists, and open so many more opportunitys for artists who specialize in environments, but don't have anywhere to show off their skills.

I know they can post here, but all the posts feel out of place, and they always feel like they have to label their work with an environment in the title.

Anyway hope some people can agree with me.

*EDIT* Poll is going great thus far. So far everyone wants to see an environments section added, but since there are only 2 voting options some have had to vote no. I will make a new poll after this one has run its course with more options according to how this poll goes.

Enlighter
06-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Oh Just a request to those who vote no. Can you please state why you voted that way thanks.

fabianv
06-05-2005, 10:00 PM
It wouldnt hurt

Beechdbum
06-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Hi, I voted vote no and ill explain why. I personally like the 2d and 3d galleries not separated it allows for the chance for multiple kinds of artist to see multiple types of work and to give different feedback from different experiences.If it did get its own forum i can see concept artist, character artist, comicbook artist all jumping on the bandwagon and requestion forum as well. Separate forums would clutter up cgtalk and seperate it even more. I did like the older cg choice gallery system were you could select a type of art and it would filter just that kind, I thought that was a nice organized feature. . I have no problem with a general forum for environmental art though, I know there are forums for things like modeling and texturing and environmental art is just as specialized as those. Hopes this helps explain my reasoning some. - Ben

Enlighter
06-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Yes thank you for your input anyone care to comment?

I think those are pretty good reasons, and I agree about having at least one forum for it because it is a large focus area, and many artists specialize in just environments.

pencil-head
06-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Hi, I voted vote no and ill explain why. I personally like the 2d and 3d galleries not separated it allows for the chance for multiple kinds of artist to see multiple types of work and to give different feedback from different experiences.If it did get its own forum i can see concept artist, character artist, comicbook artist all jumping on the bandwagon and requestion forum as well. Separate forums would clutter up cgtalk and seperate it even more. I did like the older cg choice gallery system were you could select a type of art and it would filter just that kind, I thought that was a nice organized feature. . I have no problem with a general forum for environmental art though, I know there are forums for things like modeling and texturing and environmental art is just as specialized as those. Hopes this helps explain my reasoning some. - Ben

I was thinking the same thing.

Enlighter
06-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Hrm I should have added more options to the poll. How can I add more options does anyone know? because both the people who voted no both agree that there should be at least one environmental art forum, btu had to vote no.

JDex
06-05-2005, 10:58 PM

Quoted for agreement.

ThE_JacO
06-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Quoted for agreement.

quoted for agreement to the agreement.

however I'll soon start a poll thread about: "should JDex change avatar?"

Enlighter
06-05-2005, 11:25 PM
haha. I am going to have to make a new poll for this eventually according to the votes that come from this one. So far everyone wants an environments forum which is good. Just didn't have enough voting options :: (

leigh
06-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Why?

I don't really see the point of adding an environment forum. People already post their environments in the current gallery. If we were to create an environment forum, then we'd have to also create seperate galleries for characters, vehicles, props, architecture and so forth.

I don't mean this in a degrading way, but what's so special about environment work to necessitate its entire own gallery? Why is environment work more important and exclusive than the rest of the work submitted?

The whole point of the gallery is to have all the cool work together in one place. Splitting it all up would defeat the purpose.

I think a better solution would be to have a category selection when submitting work, that users could then use as a filter for searching through the gallery, if they so wish.

Enlighter
06-06-2005, 12:19 AM
Sorry I hit a nerve :: (

I do agree with you though. Your right that if one section is added then all would have to be added, and that wouldn't be as nice as what we currently have.

I think that the idea about having the person choose a catagory when they are submitting is a much better idea, and would be much nicer for everyone.

Kirt
06-06-2005, 01:59 AM
Ditto what Leigh said. I'd hate to see different category forums, but the category selection is something that I miss from the old gallery viewing pages.

Enlighter
06-06-2005, 02:48 AM
Anyone know why they took it out?

Mibus
06-06-2005, 05:46 AM
The current gallery is actually entirely new and unrelated to the old one - it's not a matter of having taken it out, but that we haven't had a chance to put it in yet.

It's one of a number of changes we really want to do, so it will happen - we just have other things to work on in the meantime :)

Enlighter
06-06-2005, 11:22 AM
Great thanks for the response :: )

As you can tell we all look forward to it haha

CGTalk Moderation
06-06-2005, 11:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.