PDA

View Full Version : Process or Product?

Sulla
06-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I have been thinking lately about art the process and product. I have noticed that value many times (not always) relatets to process. If its time consuming it must be better even if the finished product is about the same. Now or course this is not always true in art all you have to do is look at how some Warhols were made. Any way the reason I am bringing this up is I have found lately when working out ways of doing things I have the choice of fast and easy or traditional and much slower with about the same results. I am torn on the best way to go.

uncon
06-03-2005, 11:03 PM
You bring up an interesting point. However, it takes no time to make flashy transition screens like you see on CNN and Fox, but people seem to be constantly impressed by them. I had to make something similar for work and I decided to go over the top and make a flying logo with a spining globe and all this crazy stuff going on around it. Ohhh man it was ugly. When the audience saw it for the first time there was an audable gasp and a couple people comented about how nice it was. It took all of 30 min to make and I think it's some of thw worst design I've ever done but it works, and at the end of the day thats all it's about.

Value is all relative, a good clean design gives something a profesional flair while a screaming car comercial gets peoples attention. I guess you have to consider your audience and what their expectaion is.

mangual
06-04-2005, 12:48 PM
I think what may be most important is the overall emotional impact. It doesn't even matter how many people it impacts either. For certain artists... just affecting one person out there is enough to make it worth it.

In my case, sometimes I am satisfied with art I have created that I have never even shown anyone at all... the creation of it is enough.

dbclemons
06-04-2005, 05:46 PM
I agree that quality doesn't necessarily relate to the amount of time one spends on the process of creating a work of art. There's an understandable degree of appreciation to be given to spending time on details versus a more simplistic approach, but that doesn't mean the process in either one is better or worse than the other, but on how well it's executed. I feel that certain expression requires a technique to do it justice, however. By that I mean I don't want the process to cause an effect that doesn't achieve what I was after. For me it's about accuracy, not necessarily in a representational sense, but to be accurate in achieving whatever it was that motivated me to create the art in the first place. The process shouldn't interfere with that.-David

robotJAM1
06-07-2005, 08:24 PM
I think id depends on what sort of artwork you are doing and who you are doing it for. If its a paid job I no longer take any interest in making it good for me, I just give them exactly what they want or asked for, get it done as quickly as I can and to the best quaility I can do in a given timescale. For personal work I sometimes like to take my time. I really like the Francis Bacon quote about art. " Its finished when you've learnt what you needed to learn", or something like that.

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2005, 08:24 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.