PDA

View Full Version : Skin or Physique?

Frinsklen
10-15-2002, 08:06 PM
Hi,

I rig characters with Max's Physique, but I've seen great animators using Skin lately, and I wanted to know what you guys think about both tecniques. Advantages and disadvantages of each plugin, etc.. from those who have used both and could give me a comparison or something.

Maybe this post should be on the character rigging forum, or even on the 3dsmax forum... Mods, do what you have to do if this is the wrong place.

Thanks in advance.

AnimBot
10-30-2002, 06:17 AM
I like and use both skin and physique. Physique's envelopes I think work better than skin's in that you can get more precision in how they are shaped. You can pretty much mold it to your character. When it comes to wieghting individual vertices I like the way skin works better. Including and excluding a group of verts seems alot more straight forward in skin as well. You can also scale the envelope along a bones local height with skin I actually use that feature quite a bit. I also did a quick test but I'm not positive if this is true or not. It seems that when you use max's native bones scaled to your character the envelopes generated were more accurate than those generated from a biped that was scaled to a character. The opposite also seemed to be true with physique. Try it out yourself and let me know if I'm crazy. Yea I like both.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.