PDA

View Full Version : My first works: Giant Eagles

jjus78
06-03-2005, 08:59 AM
Hello,

this is my second experience with Painter IX. I hope you like it. You can find my first work posted here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=246029

I hope that this one represents some improvement. As with my first work, the starting point was one scanned sketch of my own, and I am using Painter to put color on it. Please send me commnents and improvements on it. Thanks you all.

http://candanchu.upc.es/pictures/aguilas800.jpg

beelow
06-03-2005, 10:34 AM
Nice, paintings you may need to work on the lighting and the anatomy of the guy that is on the bird and birds wing is low on it's body. I am so used to seeing a birds wing on the top of the back. Hopefully these tips help. Keep working at it everyday and your skills will improve dramatically, Good hustle and stay up with your painting...holla!:thumbsup:

BigFox
06-03-2005, 02:39 PM
The hand of the guy with the sword seems to be facing backward. I don't think he would be able to bend that way. Just grab something in your hand and make this pose in the mirror. Turn until you are at the correct angle and see what your hand looks like. Where is your thumb?

ajay1589
06-03-2005, 03:00 PM
the action looks great in the piece but i agree with the arm, its bent the wrong way

Ilikesoup
06-03-2005, 04:19 PM
I just checked out your other pic. I definitely see an improvement, especially with the colors. The rider might have gotten lost in the pic if not for the orange glow from the window behind him -- nice placement. Also, I like the texture you've added to the feathers and armor.

There are a few anatomy issues --
The rider's thumb is pointing in the right direction and his arm looks okay (I'm in my cubicle at work so I can't strike the pose at the moment :) ). However, he's got no armpit -- the space is bulging outward where it should be indented. I'm not crazy about the expression on his face, either. It seems to say "charge" when it should say "CHARGE!":scream: Try making his eyes bug out and drop his jaw wide open.

As for the lead eagle, he's got a really weak chest and his wing should be anchored in his back, not his front. He looks blind with that tiny eye, but maybe that's the idea -- the rider makes all steering decision and the eagle merely reacts. I like the headgear.
How long did this one take you. Looks like a lot of work.

jjus78
06-06-2005, 10:59 AM
Hello,

thanks a lot for your comments and tips. They are really useful. I didn't even realize of some of them . ("Ilikesoup" you are right, the orange window helps a lot to focus the rider in the picture). I'll try to fix the wing anchor issue. Regarding the hand of the rider I'll try to make the "mirror test" to check it.

I devoted to the picture one month more or less, but I can only work on it on my free time, so I worked on it on weekends and some free hours during working days.

Adiós :thumbsup:

umbrellasky
06-06-2005, 06:36 PM
The wings are beautiful! I really like this piece so far. I think there are too many neutral grays, making the image look slightly lifeless. I'm no expert on this so forgive me if I seem to be talking rubbish. I think the armour should maybe relfect some more of the colour around it, like the orange from behind him, maybe have a stronger lighting on the piece-a direct light source of some sort.

Instead of highlighting with white, use another colour perhaps, just makes the image looks too flat.

Hope that helps a little bit.

ms@zx
06-07-2005, 06:01 AM
looking good overall,some of the minor stuff has been mentioned,i think the the perspective for the castle on the lower left portion of the picture is alil off,the image itself gives an impression of a low angle but the castle seems to be viewing from the top:)enialadam was right about the 'white',besides,i think u could try to enrich the colors more.the composition looks nice though,keep it up my friend.

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2005, 06:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.