PDA

View Full Version : 3D Clouds from Spheres

richcz3
06-03-2005, 12:23 AM
The test I am working out now are clouds based on Vue Spheres. Page 411 gets it started. After I didn't get the results in the lesson I just added the material from the Clouds Sphere #2. It saved allot of time and I was able to start changing parameters quickly.
http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/Vue_Cloud_tests_01.jpg

This is definately a test in progress
The clouds still look a little too hard. Some real fuzzy settings on spheres just above the primary cloud tops may add the mist fluffy look I'm after. After applying the material the Key attributes for change are Global Transparency and Fuzzy Settings. The greater the Fuzzy setting the less likely you are going to see intersecting polys from each sphere. At least for now, I am using a lower settings for clouds at a greater distance to give them a more more volume in reflected light.
The lighting which includes Diffusion, Ambient, Contrast and Luminosity are next with Contrast and Ambient play a big role with different positions of the Sun.

http://www.digitalworks.8m.com/Forumpix/Vue_Cloudsetup_tests_01.jpg

Stacked Clouds
I am staking spheres closer to the camera because at higher resolutions the clouds look a little too hollow with open transparent areas. At greater distances I am using a larger cloud as a filler to fill gaps.

Issues for Now
Fog and Haze don't play too nice so far.

DigReal
06-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Hi Rich, sorry for the late response. This looks very interesting. Any updates on your progress, or are they posted elsewhere?

richcz3
06-08-2005, 04:32 AM
steve - No new updates yet, but theres allot of experimenting going on.:)
I'm working with extruded spheres modeled in Lightwave and another test using organic shapes exported from Zbrush. Both model types have two layers. The results are not worth posting yet. Hopefully there will be something before the end of the week. Thanks for your interest.

Wabe
06-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Super clouds, i said it before.

Have you ever tried to use Metaballs for clouds? I got some good results with smoke. Better than with the spheres i tried first.

AJE
09-19-2005, 09:43 AM
Would it be possible, to have a black sphere, with your world inside it, and render the clouds in Vue from the bottom... then key out the black from the sphere?

Not that you approach doesn't look promising, because it does... I was just thinking that it might be easier to animate the planes (or whatever is flying) inverted against the clouds, then key out whatever colour is on the top side of them.

Just a thought.

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2005, 09:43 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.